none
vocals aren't being recorded when I try to create a song RRS feed

• Question

• My vocals have not been recorded when I attempt to create a song. Previous to this in 2014 and 2015, I had created over 60 songs with no trouble. Since earlier in the year, I have attempted to create a song and only was able to generate the music track. I checked the microphone configuration box for the microphone gain reading and it was in the "good range". Also, I checked the volume tab and advanced it to the highest it would go. When I created a song in the past I noticed the green markers flashing in the white slot to the right of "microphone" but I don't see them flashing anymore. I have tried using a new and better microphone/headset to no avail. I am still using the same computer with Windows 7. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 10:05 PM

Answers

• John:

Apologies if I missed it, but I looked back over this thread and I still don't see confirmation on what happens when you use your microphone in other applications (e.g. Windows Sounds Recorder or the online tests we discussed above).  Does the sound come out normal, or also very quiet?

Thanks.

-Dan

[marking as answered because the original poster has gone quiet... hopefully this led him to a solution!]

Friday, June 9, 2017 7:10 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Sorry you're having trouble with Songsmith.

Does your microphone work in other programs?  For example, if you open Windows Sound Recorder, can you record audio?  This will help us figure out if the program is specific to Songsmith.

Thanks!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Thursday, October 20, 2016 3:36 PM
    Owner
  • Sorry you're having trouble with Songsmith.

Does your microphone work in other programs?  For example, if you open Windows Sound Recorder, can you record audio?  This will help us figure out if the program is specific to Songsmith.

Thanks!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

This is the only program I have used my microphone in. Where would I find Window Sound Recorder?
    Sunday, January 8, 2017 12:19 AM
  • This page has good instructions for opening Sound Recorder on Windows 7:

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/record-audio-sound-recorder-windows-7

There are also some online tools for testing your microphone:

https://www.onlinemictest.com/

If it's not working, this page is a good guide to making sure it's not muted or set to zero volume:

https://www.onlinemictest.com/microphone-settings/windows-7

Hope that helps!

-Dan

Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:56 PM
    Owner
  • I have installed the Sound Recorder and done the online testing of my new microphone - which is a Plantronics Audio 648USB - under the Sound tab in my computer's Control Panel. Still I have not been able to record my vocals in Songsmith. The one change with this new microphone is that I can make out my vocals as a faint whisper when I play back the song I attempted to create. There is no wave signal at the bottom of each bar. There is only a thin red static line. I have checked the microphone configuration and it is in the "good" range. At present, I can't adjust the range on the microphone configuration whereas it was no problem in the past. I have been to "properties" under the "Sound" tab and turned the speakers and headphones up to 100% and that is how they register when I click their icon in the bottom right hand corner of the home screen on my computer. When I first started having this problem last year, I was still using the less expensive microphone - from Cyber Acoustics - which had enabled me to successfully record my vocals in 2014 and 2015 but no longer worked in 2016. So I don't think the microphone is the problem. Since I used Songsmith extensively - around eight months for 3 to 5 hours a week - it may be that I over used it and caused it the problems I've described or some one has hacked into it. I don't know how to uninstall it and re-install it if that would help. Would it help to re-purchase the program and if so is there a new version of Songsmith coming out in the near future? The last version came out in 2012 I believe. I appreciate all your advice but I don't know what else I can do to make my present Songsmith program work as it used to.
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 12:58 AM
  • Sorry you're still having trouble getting your vocals recorded in Songsmith.  

Can you try testing your microphone in another application (for example, the Windows sound recorder, or an online microphone tester) (I provided a couple links above), so we can determine whether the problem is specific to Songsmith?  This will help us give you the best instructions to fix the issue.

Also, is there any chance you have a second microphone - for example, a microphone built in to a Webcam, or a microphone built in to your computer - that Songsmith is trying to record from?  When it appears that you're getting a "faint whisper" of your vocals, very often the reason is that there's another microphone that's just further away from you.  Songsmith uses whatever microphone Windows has configured as the default microphone.  You can change the microphone that Songsmith is using by clicking the "change" button next to "recording" in the "Microphone Configuration" window; you'll be taken to the Windows microphone configuration panel, where you can change the default microphone.

Hope that helps; let us know what you learn.

-Dan from the Songsmith team

Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:12 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Dan,

I did try testing my microphone on the Windows Sound Recorder. My computer does have an internal microphone -- an IDT High Definition Audio Codec which has been disabled. I did click on the "change" next to recording in the "microphone configuration" window and when I then went to the "Windows microphone panel", I found that my current microphone -- a Plantronics Audio 648 USB -- is already listed as the default microphone. I also found that my speaker is listed as Plantronics Audio 648 USB in the "microphone configuration" window. Would that have any bearing on this problem? After checking all this, I tried to record another song but the vocal was a very thin whisper and the red lines at the bottom of each bar were almost non-existent. Let me know if you can think of any more solutions. Thank you for the time you have expended on this situation.

John Gorski

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:07 PM
  • John:

Apologies if I missed it, but I looked back over this thread and I still don't see confirmation on what happens when you use your microphone in other applications (e.g. Windows Sounds Recorder or the online tests we discussed above).  Does the sound come out normal, or also very quiet?

Thanks.

-Dan

[marking as answered because the original poster has gone quiet... hopefully this led him to a solution!]

Friday, June 9, 2017 7:10 PM
    Owner