none
Problems with Microsoft ICE exporting to Photosynth.net

Question

• Since my laptop crashed I had to install all software from scratch on a new computer. As of that moment I wasn't able to export my Microsoft ICE panoramas to Photosynth.net. It just comes up with the photosynth leaves in the taskbar, asking me to supply Photosynth with a set of photos. My problem now: I don't like the way my Panoramas look now on photosynth. I've transferred some panoramas before and that just went fine.

Now I have installed/uninistalled/rebooted everything multiple times (in a different order), but it still doesn't work the way it used to work on my old laptop, 3 days ago.

Can someone please help and give me somes advice on how to get things working again?

So, to make it clear: I want to be able to export my stiched panoramas from Microsoft ICE to Photosynth.net, to become a real surround panorama, NOT a bunch of clickable frames.

Kind regards,

Frank Schenk

The Netherlands

Monday, July 11, 2011 6:57 PM

Answers

• I see.  Unfortunately the ICE dialog for temp space doesn't control the Photosynth export feature.  Photosynth expects ICE to place the files in the Windows "temp" folder.  The location of this folder is set by something known as an "environment variable".  The known issues mentions this, but doesn't give detailed instructions for how to change the environment variable, so I will here ...

• Click on the Windows Start Button
    • In "Search programs and files" type "environment"
    • You should see a result that says something like "Edit environment variables for your account"
    • Click on this result.
    • You should see a dialog that contains "user variables for Frank & Petra", and TEMP will be listed there.
    • Click on TEMP and type in an existing folder name, for example c:\temp

Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:24 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I believe that you have hit "known issue" #3: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ice/thread/973b5e3c-fcba-4cf9-b925-a8f7efc2b80d  Please see link for a suggested work-around.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:43 PM
    Owner
  • Dear Matt,

Thanks for your respond. I'm sorry I didn't read it earlier.

Well, my username was 'Frank & Petra', so that could be the problem. But . . . after choosing an other directory, like D:\_Downloads the problems still was there. Rebooting didn't change anything.

Then I decided that the '_' in _Downloads could be the problem (again) so I choose c:\windows|temp as the cache directory. But . . . nope . . . didn't change.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Frank.Schenk6/ICEPhotosynth#

This shows a print-screen with all the screens involved. I really don't know how this problem can be solved. I would appreciate it very much if you have a solution for this. I so much like the real panorama-effect when exporting from ICE to Photosynth! The second (16:9) print-screen is from my Laptop.

I revived my old Laptop, so it works for about 10 minutes. The result is: http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=2044aeb1-7f8a-4d43-9032-42ff0ff3dac5

When I upload the photo's direct into Photosynth, the result is: http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=e02f4b82-25cb-40da-9202-dadee0244ee1

I hope, everybody can understand the beauty of the panorama from ICE.

For the record, I use Windows 7 Professional + SP1, 32 bits and Microsoft ICE 32 bits, version 1.4.4.0.

Kind regards,

Frank Schenk

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Dear Sirs,

I do have exactly the same problem. I actually tried to solve it according to your previous conversation but it didn't help

Kind Regards

Jan Skvaril

Czech Rep.

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:57 PM
  • https://picasaweb.google.com/Frank.Schenk6/ICEPhotosynth# results in "Oops... there's nothing to see here" ??
    Friday, July 29, 2011 9:03 PM
    Owner
  • Oops, sorry. The Picasa-standard seems to be "just for you". Now it's public for all on the Web.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:25 PM
  • I see.  Unfortunately the ICE dialog for temp space doesn't control the Photosynth export feature.  Photosynth expects ICE to place the files in the Windows "temp" folder.  The location of this folder is set by something known as an "environment variable".  The known issues mentions this, but doesn't give detailed instructions for how to change the environment variable, so I will here ...

• Click on the Windows Start Button
    • In "Search programs and files" type "environment"
    • You should see a result that says something like "Edit environment variables for your account"
    • Click on this result.
    • You should see a dialog that contains "user variables for Frank & Petra", and TEMP will be listed there.
    • Click on TEMP and type in an existing folder name, for example c:\temp

Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:24 PM
    Owner
  • Dear Matt,

We tried it yesterday and it seemed not to work . . . but today . . . Yyyyyeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It works just fine, like it used to work. Creating a C:\TEMP directory and let all the pointer refer to that directory. Reboot a couple of times and everything works just fine.

I really want to thank you SO much!!!!

Kind regards,

Frank Schenk

Netherlands

Monday, August 01, 2011 8:06 PM
  • Hi Jan,

I tried the tips by Matt below here and everything now works just fine. Please try it, so you too can enjoy the beautiful pano's.

Kind regards,

Frank Schenk

Netherlands

Monday, August 01, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Hey, I tried that but it still not working. I hope those forum are not dead I really need someone to help me !
    I have to same problem, after exporting a panorama through ICE to Photosynth, the latter opens and does nothing. I changed the Temp folder, it doesn't have any ascii character but the problem is the same.

I'm running Windows 8.1 (64 bits).
    Tuesday, August 05, 2014 9:54 PM
  • Thx, I tried but .....still not work lol.......want to ask you said reboot some times....about how many times....

Is it the matter with IE or Chrome....i tried both but still failed.

Here is the only one posted said it can be ok.....can you teach if you are still looking this forum.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Hi, I am also.......have you solve the upload problem from ice to the photosynth yet?

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 4:42 AM