Help.....found out I have NON Genuine RRS feed

• Question

• My computer is old now. It came with Windows ME. My computer was constantly in the shop having something fixed. And no, wasn't viruses. After dumping a few hundred on the thing being fixed in a years time the Tech at our local staples put windows XP Professional on my computer.(that was about 3 years ago) that bill alone was over a hundred for me. I had no idea til now that I was a victim of piracy. Now i have tons of issues with my computer and I cannot find my papers stating what was done. The Tech at staples no longer works there and hasn't for a long time.(other customers have had the same thing done and having same issues as I am.) I dont' have the $$ to go buy windows XP heck I thought I already paid for it.

I feel really suckered and stupid. What can I do??

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 11:47 AM

Answers

• Carey is on the right track.

If you have some upgrades you'd like to perform, you may qualify for an OEM license at a lower rate by a certified system builder.  OEM licenses of XP are at a reduced price but necessitate their purchase along with new hardware/new system hardware.

You may also wish to consider XP Home vs. Pro as this comes at a lower cost, and unless you plan to participate on a windows domain (business network) or require remote desktop, XP Home fits the bill for most home users nicely.

You should also report your previous system builder as, more than likely, you're not the only one that has received a pirated version of Windows XP and been charged for this.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 11:22 PM

All replies

• Save your money and purchase a new computer.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2006 11:56 AM
  • Wish it was that easy. I have a lot of money in this one and the only issue i have is the grrrrrrr non genuine XP Pro. Besides if I had the $$ for a new computer that would mean I had the $$ for XP Pro.
    Thursday, December 21, 2006 12:43 AM
  • Carey is on the right track.

If you have some upgrades you'd like to perform, you may qualify for an OEM license at a lower rate by a certified system builder.  OEM licenses of XP are at a reduced price but necessitate their purchase along with new hardware/new system hardware.

You may also wish to consider XP Home vs. Pro as this comes at a lower cost, and unless you plan to participate on a windows domain (business network) or require remote desktop, XP Home fits the bill for most home users nicely.

You should also report your previous system builder as, more than likely, you're not the only one that has received a pirated version of Windows XP and been charged for this.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 11:22 PM