Can't upgrade connection software and PC doesn't back up RRS feed

• Question

• I built a WHS over the week-end and installation went fine. I'm using it as a server for Sage TV and all those functions work great. I can RDP into the server and connection software works as installed.

However, the connection software can't upgrade I get an unspecified error and PC has never been backed up. I've been through the connector troubleshooting document and even installed whs connector troubleshooting tool. The troubleshooting tool comes back with odd errors. The first is that 2 or network adapters are active. Both the server and the client pc have one onboard adapter each. The second is that the server name is not resolving to an IP address. The server has an IP address on the router, I can see it plus running ipconfig/all on the server brings back the same IP address. 

I've checked the ports on both in Windows Firewall and the appropriate ports are open. Both the server and the client PC are hanging off the same switch which is connected to the only router.

I'm not a network expert and this is my first experience with building a server. Installation worked without a problem and the connection software installed on my PC. The first time the software told me to upgrade the connection software was when I became aware of this problem.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:41 AM

Answers

• I just wanted to update this thread.

I ended up going through the reinstall/install cycle several times before finally hitting on the right order of installation.

What worked for me was to install the server software and once the welcome screen came up to continue and run updates until there were no more updates. That took at least 3 reboots and update checks. Then I installed the connection software from the OEM disk. I was able to upgrade the software and back up my PC.

Once I was confident that the WHS install was working well and I migrated all my hard drives back to the pool (2 solid days of copying data) I reinstalled my media software. SageTV provides a .msi and I used that to install the software. Even before I reinstalled WHS the media part was working perfectly it was just the WHS end was not.

As of today everything appears to be working as it should. If I didn't have to add blank drives to the pool I would've been back up sooner.

• Marked as answer by JeriRat Monday, February 9, 2009 10:52 PM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 10:52 PM

All replies

• An error indicating that the server name doesn't resolve to an IP address indicates that you have a name resolution issue of some sort on your network. Could you please run the following command on your server, a working PC, and the one that doesn't, and post the results back here (clearly indicating which is which):

ipconfig /all

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

could you post the output of ipconfig /all on the server and the client here?

(To mark the text within the DOS box, click the system menu icon of the window on the left side of the title bar, select Edit/Mark, select the wanted text with the mouse and hit Enter to get the text to the clipboard.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Here you go:

Client:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : asus
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit
    Ethernet Controller
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-C6-37-61-0E
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.111
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:12:20 AM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:12:20 AM

Server:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : htserver
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-54-5C-1E-60
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.112
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:58:09 AM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:58:09 AM

Thanks for any interpretation and help, I'm willing to learn, just point me in the relevent direction.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Hi,

that output looks nearly perfect, besides the Unknown node type, but this should not play a big role.

You could change this Control Panel/Network in the Properties of your LAN connection. After double clicking Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) click Advanced, go to the WINS tab, and select NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Confirm the change and reboot the client and the server. Give it some time to build up the NEtBIOS name list.

Did you at any time modify the file hosts on the client in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc? Sometimes people add a line for their home server, which can solve name resolution problems (this file can be modified in notepad). If the server now changes it's IP address, which can happen with automatic assignment i.e. due to a power outage of the router, they may have forgotten about this old change on the client. (If you did not do this in the past, you could do it now to test, if this solves your problem (but do not forget, that you used that workaround.)

Try also, what the commands

nslookup htserver
    nbtstat -A 192.168.0.112
    ping htserver
    ping 192.168.0.112

issued on the client give you for results. The first command tries to resolve the name via DNS, the second resolves the NetBIOS names assigned to an IP address. The ping is one time done using the name, the second time using the IP address.

Olaf

Friday, January 30, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Right now I know that I don't have NetBios set over TCP/IP on either the client or the server, it's set to default. The server is busy right now but in a couple of hours I'll make the change.

For the other commands I could only ping with the server name and IP address successfully. I have no idea if I've modified the file hosts, don't even know what a file most is but while I'm waiting for my server to be free I'll do a little research.

If it's any help I can't load the connection software on any other PC in my home even though I was able to load it the first time on this PC.

Thanks for your help.
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 1:08 AM
  • I changed the settings on both the server and the client so NetBIOS is set over TCP/IP, rebooted, waited a short while and ran the commands again.

I can still ping the server via its name or IP address.

Here's the results for the first two commands:

C:\Documents and Settings\Rita>nslookup htserver
    *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent domain
    *** Default servers are not available
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    htserver
    Addresses:  8.15.7.117, 63.251.179.13

C:\Documents and Settings\Rita>nbtstat -A 192.168.0.112

Local Area Connection 6:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.111] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
        ---------------------------------------------
        HTSERVER       <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
        WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
        HTSERVER       <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
        WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
        WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
        ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-23-54-5C-1E-60

I'm guessing at this point that there is something I need to set on my router. Or do I need to set up a DNS server locally? 

Thanks, once again.

Sunday, February 1, 2009 3:28 AM
  • JeriRat,

I noted that in your first response to Olaf and Ken that your DNS server address was set to the router. The DNS is normally an IP address of your Internet Service Provider. You should not have to set an internal DNS server. Did you set the IP address of the server manually?  Here is my ipconfig /all...

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.ut.comcast.net.
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Motorola SURFboard USB Gateway
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-43-1E-84-DC
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.85.98
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 01, 2009 1:08:15 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 01, 2009 2:08:15 PM

Yours should be similar. You should be able to locate the DNS server address of your ISP by logging into your router software and going to the WAN configuration screen.

Sunday, February 1, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Bruce,

In fact, the OP setup is correct. The Internal DNS server address should be pointing to whatever device inside your network provides all your computers with their IP addresses, in the majority of home setups, that would be their router.
    If your internal DNS requirements point to an external source, it's likely that when trying to say restore a client, when the restoration looks for your server, it will be searching the Internet, not the internal network.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Colin,

Thanks for the information. One question I have then, for my own understanding, is Why would the OP require an internal DNS? From what I understand of what the Domain Name Server does, it resolves an IP address to a line of text, such as www.microsoft.com. Of course, it's probably a bit more complicated than that, but again, I'm not an IT person. The only reason he would then need an internal DNS Server would be if he has assigned an internal DOMAIN, correct?
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Hi Bruce,
    since modern operating systems prefer DNS for name resolution, they will always query DNS first for resolving name to IP address. The DNS relay in the router can usually detect, that the name has no domain assigned and therefore does not forward the name to the DNS server of the ISP.
    The external DNS, if addressed directly, tries to resolve the name in its default domain (or what ever domain may be set as DNS suffix for the local client in some router default configurations) and delivers a wrong result, if there exists a machine in the domain with that name. Or if no such machine exists, the name unknown answer takes longer to reach the client than the response from the router.

To the results of the OP:

JeriRat said:

C:\Documents and Settings\Rita>nslookup htserver
    *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent domain
    *** Default servers are not available
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    htserver
    Addresses:  8.15.7.117, 63.251.179.13

It seems really, that your name (htserver) is resolved to adresses in the Internet, as your result shows. I cannot tell why, maybe your client (I cant see this in your copied information) or the router has a DNS suffix or DNS suffix search list.

If you cannot find such entries, you really have only two options:
    Using the workaround through the hosts file or rename your server to a name, which does not get resolved wrong.
    whois query can resolve the IP addresses to the domain to which they belong, maybe those have to do with your ISP?

Olaf
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for that explanation. I was unaware that the router had DNS capabilities. Knew it had DHCP. Lots of good things to learn. :)
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:27 PM
  • Bruce Darby said:

Olaf,

Thanks for that explanation. I was unaware that the router had DNS capabilities. Knew it had DHCP. Lots of good things to learn. :)

it's often not a full DNS capability, but good enough to split between calls to internal and external ressources and forward only those queries, which need to be forwarded.
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:52 PM
  • Are you, by any chance, using a third party DNS provider, rather than the DNS servers provided by your ISP?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 2, 2009 12:12 AM
  •  I'm using my ISP's DNS server.

Here's my game plan:

Set the server to a static IP address.

Edit the host file on the server to add the static IP address and the name of the server. The host file is the default one that Windows installed, the only entry is for the local host.

Before I do this, should this work? Should I leave "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" or change it back to "Default" on the server and client? If I leave it, do I need to change all clients from the default?

Monday, February 2, 2009 2:46 PM
  • A static IP and editing the host file (on both the server and the client to add the server's address) makes no difference. nslookup fails.

It doesn't matter if my DNS is pointed to the ISP's default (which is painfully slow) or to a third party. My server name still doesn't resolve.

Don't know if this is relevant to this problem but I know that my ISP blocks port 80 on residential accounts and upgrading to a business account is not an option.

Also my ISP uses PPPoE.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Don't change the hosts file on the Server!
    Reboot the client, after the change has been made here.
    DNS server entry as als the Default gateway should stay at 192.168.0.1.

The line in the hosts here should read:
    192.168.0.112       htserver
    (if this is still the IP address of your server)
    What is the result of a ping both per name and IP address?

Are there additional network protocols installed on the server or the client (i.e. IPX) or is one of the machines multihomed (with a second network card or Firewire)?

Olaf

Monday, February 2, 2009 6:18 PM
  • I went back and restored the server's host file and rebooted the server. Doublechecked to be sure that the client's host file had the correct address for the server.

Before I added this line I could ping both the name and the IP address successfully. Now I can only ping the IP address. When I ping the name it is not found.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Hi,
    that is very strange, even if not found, the hosts file should deliver the IP address. (You are sure, that you edited hosts and not lmhosts and that the hosts file has no hidden extension, i.e. txt? In Explorer under Tools/Folder Options on the View tab untoggle the feature to hide extensions of known file types to make sure.)
    Maybe also post the content of your hosts file here. (Sometimes this gets hijacked by malware, or a security suite on the client may block access to it.)

This article explains, that usually the hosts file gets automatically loaded to the DNS resolver cache of the machine.

Olaf

Monday, February 2, 2009 8:48 PM
  • This is the content of my server's host files sans comments at the beginning of the file:

127.0.0.1     localhost

On my client pc:

127.0.0.1     localhost
    192.168.0.112    htserver

There are no hidden extensions (that's one of the first things I do when I install an OS is to enable extensions and hidden files). I'm not running a security suite, had too many issues with those in the past. I run Windows Firewall on both Server and Client and AVG 8.0 on the client.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Now I can ping the server with both name and IP address but nothing else has changed.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:38 PM
  • I read through the article on host name resolution process and ran the command ipconfig/displaydns on both the client and the server. On the client the server was listed with the correct IP address. The server did not list that and I assume it shouldn't because the client PC did not list itself.

I'm totally baffled and clueless.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Ok, now, as we have worked around the name resolution problem, back to the original issus. Sorry, I have no other way than to bomb you with even more questions:
    • What is the exact error message, if you try either to run setup.exe from above share or the download from http://htserver:55000?
    • Which version numbers does your WHS console show?
    • What are the modification dates of the msi files in \\htserver\software\Home Server Connector Software?
    • Are all files still complete there?
    • Are there errors in the event log of the client or server during the time of failed installation, and if yes, which?
    Olaf
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:48 PM
    • What is the exact error message, if you try either to run setup.exe from above share or the download from http://htserver:55000?
    In Firefox: The handle is invalid.
    In IE7: HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
    • Which version numbers does your WHS console show?
    Setup.exe 7/12/2008
    WHSConnectorInstall.exe 7/12/2008
    WHSVersionUpgrade.dll 7/12/2008
    WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll 7/12/2008
    WHS_ConnectorHelp.chm 7/12/2008
    WHSConnector.msi 10/31/2008
    WHSConnector_x64.msi 10/31/2008
    • Are all files still complete there?
    AFAIK
    • Are there errors in the event log of the client or server during the time of failed installation, and if yes, which?
    There's nothing that I can see in either set of logs.

Thanks for trying to help me.

Monday, February 2, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Hi,
    did you install any applications on your server, which are not part of WHS?
    The error message http 500 seems to point into the direction, that something messed up the permissions to the Internet Information Services in your home server (like IUSR_server account lacks permissions for something). But this should represent in errors or warnings in the servers event log.

If not, I recommend either a server reinstall or at least to login to your server, uninstall Power Pack 1 (because this was the last which replaced the web components of WHS), reboot, reinstall Power Pack 1 and all subsequent updates and try again.

Olaf
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Yes, the purpose of this server is be a media server. Besides device drivers I installed SageTV from a .msi file. Sage works perfectly with the client PC and a media extender. I will inquire at the Sage forums if anyone else has had similar problems. I did not try to upgrade the connection software or backup the client PC before installing this software so I do not know if that was already broken.

I rechecked the server logs and there are no errors.

Under add/remove programs I do not see a reference to Power Pack 1 even with the updates included box checked. The WHS package I installed stated that it included Power Pack 1.

I will consider reinstalling the server software when I can schedule downtime for my media server.

Thank you for your time and recommendations.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Just to confirm:
    you logged in to your server locally or via Remote Desktop, opened Event Viewer in Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools, checked all 3 logs (including Security log) and found absolutely no failures or warnings?
    I have seen very seldom a server with an absolutely clean event log. No DCOM warnings, no security failure etc?
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:34 AM
  • JeriRat said:

Yes, the purpose of this server is be a media server. Besides device drivers I installed SageTV from a .msi file. Sage works perfectly with the client PC and a media extender. I will inquire at the Sage forums if anyone else has had similar problems. I did not try to upgrade the connection software or backup the client PC before installing this software so I do not know if that was already broken.

I rechecked the server logs and there are no errors.

Under add/remove programs I do not see a reference to Power Pack 1 even with the updates included box checked. The WHS package I installed stated that it included Power Pack 1.

I will consider reinstalling the server software when I can schedule downtime for my media server.

Thank you for your time and recommendations.

Did you install the WHS version of SageTV? If not what exactly did you install? I'm not familiar with SageTV, but I  wouldn't be surprised if of the SageTV install includes some "web" based interface,  that could potentially mess up access to the WHS web pages.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:08 PM
  • I just wanted to update this thread.

I ended up going through the reinstall/install cycle several times before finally hitting on the right order of installation.

What worked for me was to install the server software and once the welcome screen came up to continue and run updates until there were no more updates. That took at least 3 reboots and update checks. Then I installed the connection software from the OEM disk. I was able to upgrade the software and back up my PC.

Once I was confident that the WHS install was working well and I migrated all my hard drives back to the pool (2 solid days of copying data) I reinstalled my media software. SageTV provides a .msi and I used that to install the software. Even before I reinstalled WHS the media part was working perfectly it was just the WHS end was not.

As of today everything appears to be working as it should. If I didn't have to add blank drives to the pool I would've been back up sooner.

• Marked as answer by JeriRat Monday, February 9, 2009 10:52 PM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 10:52 PM