error while installing ms crm 4.... RRS feed

• Question

• I am facing a severe problem while installing MS CRM 4. i am installing CRM on a sub-OU in the active directory. Installing user have full rights on that OU. Installing user is not a Full Domain Admin, rather he has just full rights on OU defined for CRM installation. It starts installation, error occurs when setup starts to create Databases. Configuration database is half created  and then i recieve this message

"action microsoft.crm.setup.server.grantconfigdbdatabaseaccessaction failed. Windows NT user or Group 'test_domain\sqlAccessGroup{dd6...-.....-.......-.......-.....}' not found. check the name again."

Please suggest some workaround.

Friday, January 16, 2009 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To install Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0, you do not need Domain Administrator rights.

You need to delegate control on the OU in Active Directory for the installation user and the service Account.

The user also need local administrator right on the database server. 

Did you database administrator configured special security setting on your SQL Server(s)?

Hope this helps. 
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:05 PM

All replies

• does the user have full rights on the SQL server?

Friday, January 16, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Hi,

To install Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0, you do not need Domain Administrator rights.

You need to delegate control on the OU in Active Directory for the installation user and the service Account.

The user also need local administrator right on the database server. 

Did you database administrator configured special security setting on your SQL Server(s)?

Hope this helps. 
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:05 PM
  • yes user is local administrator on ms sql server.

If i change my language to English (UK) then there isn't any problem in installation. But with English (United States) its giving mentioned problem.

Plz suggest!!!

Friday, January 16, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Hi There,
    Did you find a solution to this? I ahve the same error. Thanks Sohaib.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

In my company I can`t delegate the CRMSetup users as a Domain Administrator. IT Issues....

So I`m doing this manually. The follow command show how I`m doing this.

C:\CRM\en_dynamics_crm_4.0_enterprise_professional_workgroup_x86_dvd_x14-23908\Server\i386\SetupServer.exe  /config   C:\CRM\en_dynamics_crm_4.0_enterprise_professional_workgroup_x86_dvd_x14-23908\Config_precreate.xml

The XML file contains :
    <CRMSetup>
       <Server>
             <Groups AutoGroupManagementOff="true">
                <PrivUserGroup>DC=XPTO,DC=COM</PrivUserGroup>
              <SQLAccessGroup>DC=XPTO,DC=COM</SQLAccessGroup>
                <UserGroup>DC=XPTO,DC=COM</UserGroup>
                <ReportingGroup>DC=XPTO,DC=COM</ReportingGroup>
     <PrivReportingGroup>DC=XPTO,DC=COM</PrivReportingGroup>
      </Groups>
        </Server>
    </CRMSetup>

But every time that I ran the installation I got an error :

Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.GrantConfigDBDatabaseAccessAction failed.
    Windows NT user or group 'XPTO\' not found. Check the name again.

I`m loggin the Machine on the Domain, this user has full admin rights on the machine and it`s SQL Server full rights.

Any tips???
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Such problem occur when we do CRM installation on Windows Server 2008 R2 which is under the domain hosted in Windows 2000 server.

This kind of error occur when a program calls the LookupAccountName function to retrieve a security identifier (SID) for an account.

So, CRM installation is stopped when the AD groups created by CRM (SQLAccessGroup, ReportingGroup, UserGroup, etc.) cannot be added into SQL security logins.

Installing the hotfix including in this article will solve the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976494

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:40 AM