So I can't change my hardware? RRS feed

• Question

• I changed the motherboard and graphics card in my system, as well as the ram. I do this semi frequently, as I am a system builder, and have enough parts at my home to build atleat 2 computers at any given time. I went from one NForce 4 Board to another to try out SLI with the new Nvidia driver, to see if it was worth my while to pickup another SLI board and cards with Vista yet.

I have a legit Vista Business x64 OEM purchased with the parts to build my current PC.

Well, I turned on my PC last night only to be told my copy of windows was not valid, something that never happened with XP, ever. Fine, I click on the resolve this now link, which launches my Firefox, makes me install a plugin I don't want, and then fails to solve my problem anyway. I launch IE7 64, which guess what the stupid activex control is not compatible with. I launch IE7 32 which finally installs the activex control I don't want, and then fails to solve my problem. I am told each time that it cannot determine the validity of my windows, which is ***.

I already submitted my tech support ticket by email, and for MS employees looking into this, its confirmation #1033840975, which included the output of the WGA Diag tool, which didn't help me at all.

I am extremely upset by this development. As part of my job I am constantly trying new hardware, and new software to keep my skills up. I am currently responsible for about 97 XP Pro seats in a volume license within the organization I work for. I have to tell you that this event is making me question using any MS products down the road, and is giving me good reason to convert the entire organization over to linux and openoffice.

This behavior by windows is totally unacceptable, especially for the business version. I certainly hope that MS is going to be releasing a patch that allows this call back behavior to turned off. I do not want to have to write firewall rules to block it, my MSN blocking rules already eat up about 30 lines in my firewall rules.

Sincerly an extremely upset paying customer!
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:57 PM

Answers

•  

Can you tell me what error code you get (if any) when you validate by clicking "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

The error code will be gray and in brackets at the end of them message on the page that says validation failed.  (It'll look something like this:  [0xC004C000]).

Thanks!

Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:41 PM

All replies

•  

Can you tell me what error code you get (if any) when you validate by clicking "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

The error code will be gray and in brackets at the end of them message on the page that says validation failed.  (It'll look something like this:  [0xC004C000]).

Thanks!

Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:41 PM
  • Evan N.P.,

If you are a systembuilder then you should know that the OEM license is tied to the computer (which effectively means the motherboard) onto which it is first installed and is not permitted to be moved to and installed on any other computer.

Moving the license from the old motherboard to the new one is the problem.  Vista is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

A full retail license allows moving the license from one computer to another, and for how you are using it, that is much more appropriate.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:51 PM