xp Home Edition Activation Stuck In A Loop RRS feed

• Question

• Was on the phone today with Microsoft and they advised me to come here. I have to keep validating my windows. 4-5 times a day. They informed me that I was stuck in a loop due to updates and it's in the registry. Phone Activation would not solve the problem. I am 100% Legit and want to fix this annoying problem. Could you please advise me on how to do this.
                                                                                                                        Cher
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:16 PM

Answers

• Good Morning Cher,

Thank you for letting us know the outcome. I am sorry the steps didn't work. Cher you can order the Service Packs from Microsoft which may save you time. Also you mentioning having dial-up. Have you contacted the phone company and ask them if they have DSL capability? Maybe this would be a solution for faster connection :-).

Take care Cher and if we may be of service in the future please let us know.

Stephen 

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 4:18 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:17 PM

All replies

• Hello Cher :-)

Thank you for visiting us. We understand the frustration you are currently experiencing. Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results. This will allow us to see a snapshot of what you are experiencing which will allow us to provide you with a possible resolution.   

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.     What edition/version of Windows XP is currently installed or is it another version of Windows?

·        Home

·        Media Center

·        Professional

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Thankyou for your reply Stephen. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. My issue has been resolved via e-mail with Agnes Zheng. I had a corrupt WGA.
                                                       Cheryl
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Chey Cher,

We are glad to hear the problem has been resolved :-). Could you please post the steps Agnes Zheng provided you? This would help others who experiencing the same problem as you. 

Thank you again :-)

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 8, 2009 10:17 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:18 PM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Thanks Stephen ! 
       I sure can post the steps for you to help others. This was what I did to resolve my problem after running the diagnostics and Agnes checked it out to find I was a Genuine User.
                                                                                    Cheryl

Suggestion: Manually uninstall and reinstall the WGA engine
    ============================================
    1. Click "Start", "Run", type: notepad C:\remove.bat and press "Enter". Choose "Yes" when you are prompted.
    2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window.

Del C:\Windows\System32\legitcheckcontrol.dll /q
    Del C:\Windows\System32\wgalogon.dll /q
    Del C:\Windows\System32\wgatray.exe /q
    Reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WgaLogon" /f

3. After you have pasted the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Yes" when you are prompted to save the file.
    4. Click "Start", "Run", type: C:\remove.bat and press "Enter" to run the commands we have pasted.
    5. Please download the update KB905474 from the following link and save it to your Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=afd45b36-3d77-4259-801c-d31a9a90cdcf

6. Go to your Desktop and then double click on the file we just downloaded to reinstall the Update KB905474.
    7. Restart the Machine and then check if this issue still persists.

Thank you for your cooperation. Please carefully perform the above troubleshooting steps and inform me of the result at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear in my email, please don’t hesitate to contact me. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Agnes Zheng

Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:34 AM
  • Hey Stephen !
                           Well it seems the fix only lasted 3 days and I am back in the same situation. Turn the system on today and I am stuck in the loop again. Any suggestions....this is crazy !
            Any help would be appreciated.
                                                             Cheryl
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Morning Cher,

Thought we had it right but guess the problem has surfaced again :(. Do me a favor. Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results. Please reference my previous posting within our thread for the steps. Also if you are receiving any errors or messaging whatsoever please let us know this as well.

Take care and will await your MGA Results.

Stephen
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PRWMQ-G94XQ-8FTW6
    Windows Product Key Hash: X3r7Q18DkxmRcfClSEg4SQi9JZs=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2168083-90162
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom
    ID: {277E8840-35FE-4E17-A135-0D4CFE06D0EC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{277E8840-35FE-4E17-A135-0D4CFE06D0EC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8FTW6</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2168083-90162</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1004336348-484061587-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>GBT___</Manufacturer><Model>GA-7VAX</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>F5</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030903000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3EF13A2F01842E79</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 13C70:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|13C70:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|13C70:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Hey Cher

Thank you for providing us with the results so quickly :-).
    XP Activation Looping falls outside WGA support scope and isn’t within the realm of our expertise. However, we have put together some information which may help resolve your problem.  Previously you mentioned, "Phone support informed me that you were stuck in a loop due to updates and it's in the registry". First please back up all your important data using a removable hard drive, CD-Rom, DVD-Rom, USB thumb drive or other methods. Next back up your registry outlined below. Please let me know if this resolves the Activation Loop. 

Step 1

KB312295 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us

This article contains information to help you resolve a Windows product activation problem you may be experiencing. Windows may prompt users to activate every time that the computer is started. You experience this problem even if you have already activated Windows. This article describes how to remove a script that may interfere with Windows activation. To do this, you must start the computer in safe mode, modify the Windows registry, and then restore the Windows product activation file. Then, you can reactivate Windows. After you follow these steps, you are no longer prompted to activate Windows when you start the computer.

If you need further assistance please post your question to the “Discussions in Windows XP General” forum newsgroups for continued resolution located here:  

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

Important:  This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Backup your registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

KB322756 - How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Vista http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Step 2

We would like to provide another recommendation which may provide a solution. Please follow the procedure(s) outlined in the Knowledge Base (KB) article below:  

KB330136 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330136/en-us

When you try to log on to a computer on which Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition has been installed, you receive a message indicating that the grace period has expired and that you must activate Windows XP now. When you click “Yes” to activate the product, you are logged off and the logon prompt appears. Please follow the steps in the above article.

Thank you again Cher :-)

Stephen

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:19 PM
  • I will sit down at the computer tonight. I will let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again !
    Stephen....
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Hey Stephen ! I am finally back up and running with a clean install. I had a heck of a time. When I tried the very first step in the Guided Help, the one that does it for you automatically rather than manually. The computer went into a continuos boot and windows would not boot up at all. I tried my hardest not to loose the system. I only have dial-up internet. No high speed available out here in the boonies. Old copper phone lines. GGGRRRRR....That's why I am just getting back to you.I had to reformat. I have no idea what happened. The System no how,no way, would go into Safe Mode....I tried every selection of Safe Mode and no way. I spent a few hrs on that. Got mad and shut the system down for the night and reformatted the next day Appreciate the help anyways but just didn't work out. Thanks again, Stephen
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:40 AM
  • Good Morning Cher,

Thank you for letting us know the outcome. I am sorry the steps didn't work. Cher you can order the Service Packs from Microsoft which may save you time. Also you mentioning having dial-up. Have you contacted the phone company and ask them if they have DSL capability? Maybe this would be a solution for faster connection :-).

Take care Cher and if we may be of service in the future please let us know.

Stephen 

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 4:18 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:17 PM
  • I have the old copper lines. Only dial-up works. Doesn't support DSL. They have to update the lines out here in order to even get DSL. Boo-hoo. Wi-fi isn't even out here. No coverage.

Thanks again !

Monday, June 15, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Cher,

When you say Wi Fi do you mean internet via Satelite? 

Stephen
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Hey Stephen !
                          When I say Wifi I mean Wireless. I don't know where you are but assuming maybe the US. Ma Bell {Bell Canada} has Towers all around me as do others but none of them cover my area. My arguement with them is then why does my cell work with no problems? They have all these new networks and nothing in my area to cover me. I can get satellite but it is so costly. Here we have to sign contracts with the exception of wifi with bell. I don't want to get stuck with a 3yr contract incase I have something come available. I have my wireless laptop I take into the city if I really need something. 
               I couldn't get back to you earlier for I had to update my anti-virus......
                                                                                 Cher
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:42 AM
  • Hey Cher :-)

Interesting how things work there. Here people can go thru say Ma Bell and sign up for what is called DSL. DSL simply uses pre-existing "copper" wiring already in your house. The speed is similar to cable say though your local cable TV company. Check around with other companies to see if there are any capabilities for your geographical location. Unfortunately I can't make any suggestions. Also you can call local companies and ask when will the service be available within your location :-). 

Take care Cher

Stephen
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Hey Stephen !
                             Thanks so much....Ma Bell tells me that the line doesn't support DSL. The way it works {Digital Data}. My line doesn't support the language it uses plus you have to be within 400ft. The closer you are to the central office too applies. I am in the country and the office I am hooked up to hasn't been updated either let alone it's miles away from my house.
    My line coming into the house is well over 400ft. My house is 396ft from the road let alone more footage through the house. Bell has strung the new fibre optics but yet has hooked them up. It's a waiting game now. No cable available out here either. As for asking when and if this will be available they will not tell you that. Very tight lipped.....Why you ask? Good question. Nobody will give you that information. I will just have to clunk along until something does come available.  There are a few wireless companies but it is a 3yr contract for $60 a month with caps....Depending on the usage of the net it may be higher. That is not including them hook it up plus equipment. I am looking at about $300 to $500 to get up and running. Alot have told me when I called to speak to someone about putting a hub on my property. It's just not worth it to me. I will wait.
                                                             Cheryl 
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:05 PM