One Bank A/C not accepting OFX downloads. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Money 2005 UK - QFE2. I have several bank accounts with Nationwide from which I can download OFX files , but one of them does not accept the updates -  it does not even appear in the list of statements to read after I update the other accounts. I suspect I may have made some error in setting it up years ago. Any suggestions for resolving this?
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 11:57 AM

Answers

• Three ways come to mind.

1. Re-open the closed account, and catch it up. Let's call that account A1. Let's call the new version A2. You could export the transactions from A2 as QIF, edit the file to remove unwanted transactions, and import that as a statement into Q1. Actually, I think the way it works when you import a QIF as a statement is that if the date and amount and maybe the payee are the same, it is considered a duplicate, and ignored.

2. You could disassociate the OFX from A1.
    If OFX Web statements are placed in the wrong (A1) account, blank the
    Financial Institution (FI) for the A1 account in account
    settings.  Do that in the Account Settings/Details, which you can
    reach by right-clicking the account name on the Account List.  Don't
    just change the FI.  Blank it using the Delete or Backspace keys.

On the Account List, if there are transactions to read for
    A1, right-click TransactionsToRead, and then click
    Delete Statement.

Import the OFX file.  Money should ask which account to use.  Tell
    Money the statement should go onto the right account.

Put the FI for the A1 account back.

If that does not fix it, there is a method where you temporarily
    change the currency of the A1 account. You can experiment with that.

This process is aimed at situations where you want to keep the account that is wrongly receiving the transactions. This lets you keep the old account as a record for past activity.

3. What seems to be the easiest of all, I have not tried.That would be to Delete the wrong account by right-clicking and choosing Delete. Now that the account is visible, that is an option.

Whatever you try, remember to keep extra copies or backups of your file (with unique names) so that you can undo something that does not work as you hope.

There is at least one more, but I suspect #3, #2, or #1 will match your needs. I suspect #2 may best fit the situation.

Sunday, August 11, 2019 7:35 PM

All replies

• In Account List, un-tick SortAccountListBy->HideClosedAccounts

See if there is a closed account that has been receiving the transactions. If so, that can be dealt with.

Sunday, August 11, 2019 4:59 PM
  • Thank you Cal. That is exactly what has happened! Three years ago one account was closed. Some short time later I opened a new account but the old closed account has been receiving the updates for the new one. How to deal with this??
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 7:00 PM
  • Three ways come to mind.

1. Re-open the closed account, and catch it up. Let's call that account A1. Let's call the new version A2. You could export the transactions from A2 as QIF, edit the file to remove unwanted transactions, and import that as a statement into Q1. Actually, I think the way it works when you import a QIF as a statement is that if the date and amount and maybe the payee are the same, it is considered a duplicate, and ignored.

2. You could disassociate the OFX from A1.
    If OFX Web statements are placed in the wrong (A1) account, blank the
    Financial Institution (FI) for the A1 account in account
    settings.  Do that in the Account Settings/Details, which you can
    reach by right-clicking the account name on the Account List.  Don't
    just change the FI.  Blank it using the Delete or Backspace keys.

On the Account List, if there are transactions to read for
    A1, right-click TransactionsToRead, and then click
    Delete Statement.

Import the OFX file.  Money should ask which account to use.  Tell
    Money the statement should go onto the right account.

Put the FI for the A1 account back.

If that does not fix it, there is a method where you temporarily
    change the currency of the A1 account. You can experiment with that.

This process is aimed at situations where you want to keep the account that is wrongly receiving the transactions. This lets you keep the old account as a record for past activity.

3. What seems to be the easiest of all, I have not tried.That would be to Delete the wrong account by right-clicking and choosing Delete. Now that the account is visible, that is an option.

Whatever you try, remember to keep extra copies or backups of your file (with unique names) so that you can undo something that does not work as you hope.

There is at least one more, but I suspect #3, #2, or #1 will match your needs. I suspect #2 may best fit the situation.

Sunday, August 11, 2019 7:35 PM
  • Thanks for your help Cal, I am trying out your suggestions. So far I have tried No2, but when I delete the FI of A/C 1 and try importing the ofx I get a message saying communication error. It may complicate matters as both accounts are with the same FI.

I have also tried exporting the transactions but when I try importing them into A/C 2  I get an unreadable instruction - Two lines of text superimposed at the top of the text box and I cannot work out what it says! I will keep trying but have had enough of it for now.

Sunday, August 11, 2019 9:30 PM
  • It seems that the problem is related to A/C 2, the newer one. I decided to use Cal's 3rd suggestion and deleted the older account but the newer one still would not update and failed to appear in the list Statements to Read even when I renamed it and changed its details to match the deleted account!

In my working version of Money I have now deleted the non-updating account and have adopted the one that was catching the updates and renamed it to match. The earlier transactions in that account are unrelated but still of historical interest, so I have kept them, and inserted an account adjustment to achieve a current balance.

Thanks for your help and advice Cal. 

As an after thought, I still am not clear how to create a new account that will accept Ofx updates from my bank. I have several other accounts with this bank all of which update OK but I forget how I created them - it is so long ago!

• Edited by Clacksman Monday, August 12, 2019 2:24 PM afterthought
    Monday, August 12, 2019 2:17 PM
  • As an after thought, I still am not clear how to create a new account that will accept Ofx updates from my bank. I have several other accounts with this bank all of which update OK but I forget how I created them - it is so long ago!

To create a new account, from the Account List, click AddANewAccount (left column)

Remember to have descriptively named copies of your Money file to experiment with.

If you want to try again with the #2 method to get an account to not gobble up the OFX files, try also changing the currency, as well as blanking the institution.

Monday, August 12, 2019 3:53 PM