Home Server Users vs Local Users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am stuggling to find the correlation between user accounts on my local PC and user accounts created in Home Server 2011.

I'm used to using domain account at work but as my home network is not a domain, how does home server know who is access its shares?

Does the account names and passwords have to match on the local machine and the home server for an impersonation to work? If the details do not match then does it access the home server shares as Guest?

Thanks for your help

Graham

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:43 AM

Answers

• You don't have to use matching user names and passwords on your server and your local client computer. The Windows Home Server LaunchPad (part of the connector software installed on clients) allows you to cache a set of credentials which is used to connect to the server. If you connect from some other computer that doesn't have the Launchpad installed, then:

1. If the user explicitly supplies a valid set of credentials (user name and password) when connecting to the server initially, those local credentials on the server will determine access. The LaunchPad does this for you.
    2. Otherwise, the currently logged in user's credentials will be used to authenticate against a local user on the server (i.e. local credentials are passed through to the server) and the user will have the access granted that server user.
    3. If neither scenario above applies, the user will have the same access granted the Guest account, so if the Guest account is disabled, the user will not be able to access any server shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Theo van Elsberg Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by LordTitan Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:35 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:48 AM