Starup problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

OneCare tries to start with windows Vista, but comes up with a message saying it cannot continue, no number or other info. It was working fine until yesterday. Hope you can help.

Ken

Monday, April 7, 2008 11:35 PM

Answers

• That's all worked fine. No, it didn't come up in a search, so it's a big mystery to me. Gremlins I guess. Anyway, it seems to be working fine, now, so thanks for your help.

Ken

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:31 PM

All replies

• See if this helps:

Red OneCare system tray icon and error:

"OneCare has encountered a problem and might not be protecting this PC"

Check the date and time on your PC. If it is incorrect, the problem you encountered could happen.

If the date and time are accurate, the permissions on the OneCare folder may need to be reset by using the following steps

1. Click Start->Run->Type “CMD(In Vista, type cmd in the search box, but don't hit enter and then right click command.exe and select and “Run as Administrator”)
    2. Type    CACLS "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live" /t /g administrators:f
    3. Type “Y” when prompted.
    4. Restart the machine

Please let us know if this resolves it.

-steve

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 3:36 PM
  • -steve,

That wasn't quite what it was doing. The message said "OneCare has stopped working and cannot continue". I did try what you said and it all seemed to work, but now that doesn't even happen. There's no tray icon and I can't find it in the programs list. If I open up "programs and features" in CP it's there, but I don't want to do anything in case I accidentally uninstall it. Is it possible to re-download and re-install it? It's a mystery to me.

Thanks for your help

Ken

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:11 AM
  • Before reinstalling, in the Vista search box, at the Orb (start menu) type onecare and see if it appears in the results list. If so, click it and see if it starts up and presents a system tray icon for you.

If you decide to reinsntall, run the cleanup tool (download to desktop and right click, select run as administrator) and then install from http://onecare.live.com

Cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Once you've installed, assuming that it works after the reboot (finger crossed), activate/subscribe by signing in with your subscription LiveID.

-steve

Friday, April 11, 2008 12:20 PM
  • That's all worked fine. No, it didn't come up in a search, so it's a big mystery to me. Gremlins I guess. Anyway, it seems to be working fine, now, so thanks for your help.

Ken

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:31 PM
  • One of my favorite quotes - "Life's always an adventure with computers."

So, you didn't reinstall or did you?

-steve

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:04 AM
  • Yes, I used the cleanup tool and then re-downloaded and installed and now it seems to be fine.

Thanks again.

Ken

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Ah, the old "hit it with a hammer" solution was the ticket. :-)

-steve

Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:39 PM