MS Project Delegation Feature RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking into setting up delegation in my Project 2010 environment.  Here are my questions:

1. I want to know which of the standard OOTB groups (portfolio, pm, etc) should be given the delegation permission.  Any guidance on this?  I'm think only the Portfolio and PM groups should have that.
    2. I see lots of post illustrating the delegation feature thru the Personal Settings UI.  Where do I do the same in Project Pro client?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hello,

1. the answer to the question of who should be given the delegation permissions, is completely dependent upon your business need. You could start small with the two groups you mentioned, you could also include Resource Managers if they accept timesheets etc., to keep things going. Again, there is not a one-size-fits-all answer to this question.
    2. You cannot use the delegation feature FROM Project pro. In addition, you cannot also use Delegation WITH project pro meaning one PM cannot be another PM's delegate to use Project Professional. 

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Ultragc88 Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1. the answer to the question of who should be given the delegation permissions, is completely dependent upon your business need. You could start small with the two groups you mentioned, you could also include Resource Managers if they accept timesheets etc., to keep things going. Again, there is not a one-size-fits-all answer to this question.
    2. You cannot use the delegation feature FROM Project pro. In addition, you cannot also use Delegation WITH project pro meaning one PM cannot be another PM's delegate to use Project Professional. 

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Ultragc88 Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Thanks Prasanna for the info.  So the project site UI is the only way to do this?  Why would MS do this?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Correct, only the PWA instance is supported.

One more thing, be careful if you have a delegation session running in PWA and try to connect with Project Pro at the same time, it will not work and will require you to stop the PWA based delegation before connecting.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Friday, April 13, 2012 12:33 PM