Hard Drive Size needed for installation RRS feed

• Question

• I am converting an older computer that I have to run WHS. All the components meet or exceed the minimum required with the exception of the hard drive. I have 3-40 GB IDE hard drives. Is there any way to install WHS without having at least one drive with 65GB?

I have the computer just sitting around. My intentions are to evaluate WHS and see how it works before I invest too much money in it. If everything goes well with my evaluation of WHS than I will invest money in it.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 11:33 PM

Answers

• ok thank you for your help
    • Marked as answer by wingsfan70 Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:02 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:01 AM

All replies

• I am converting an older computer that I have to run WHS. All the components meet or exceed the minimum required with the exception of the hard drive. I have 3-40 GB IDE hard drives. Is there any way to install WHS without having at least one drive with 65GB?

I have the computer just sitting around. My intentions are to evaluate WHS and see how it works before I invest too much money in it. If everything goes well with my evaluation of WHS than I will invest money in it.
    No.  However, if you have a VM app (such as Virtual PC or VMWare) and sufficient hard drive space on your main workstation, you could try it out there (just note that using WHS in a VM environment is unsupported).
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 11:37 PM
  • ok thank you for your help
    • Marked as answer by wingsfan70 Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:02 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:01 AM
  • I have previously installed WHS on a large drive and then used a partition moving program (Partition manager) to move the C partion to a 40 Gb drive and the d: to another 40 Gb drive for testing. Worked fine but did report the wrong disk type in the console HW screen.

Ken
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:53 AM