locked
Unable to refresh Restore Wizard RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I used the original MS Restore CD that came with the Server and Connector disks.  However, on using it to restore a back up to a completely clean disk partitioned with the same size partitions as the backup, and after successfully finding my RAID card drivers on a USB stick, proceeded to restore to the correct partitions.  However, after starting the restore I immediately got a message that "Unable to refresh Restore Wizard...............", so I just pressed OK and was re-prompted with selecting the partitions to restore to.  All well and good.  Until the screen went to the background image and then the PC spontaneously rebooted.

    So, I thought I'd recreate a new CD from the image file on the WHS Software directory for the Restore function.  There was no ISO but  TXT file with instructions to download the latest ISO off the MS website.  So I did this and reburned a new BOOT CD to restore from.

    I get the same message as before and the PC reboots as before.  I cannot restore my drives. This is very frustrating.

    As a heads up from a previous post, I had to partition the new disk booting off floppies with Partition Magic.  The new drive has a primary, extended and 4 logical partitions (all partitions unformatted and pristine.)

    Can anyone suggest a likely remedy for this problem?
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:44 PM

Answers

  • FWIW, I am using a Silicon Image RAID card which loads the PnP680r.sys driver under windows.  I've checked and this is on my USB stick I use for the Restore to find additional storage drives.  (I just copied the entire directory of the OS drive which contained all the WHS restore drivers.)

    So, what next?

    So far I have been trying to prove that I can carry out a restore to a fresh pair of disks in RID 0 on a different controller to that which the current system is running on.  The current system has both types of Raid card installed, and the SIL Raid is seen fine by the OS, so I know both work.  My current OS is on a ALi raid card which uses an m5281.sys driver (also on the USB stick).

    My PC is up and running fine on the ALi card and I can create / delete partitions on the SIL card and write to it with no issues.  So XP is happy with the drivers.  It is the "ALi" partitions which are backed up on the server.  I want to prove that if the card and or 2 x 160Gb disks (SATA) go down on the ALi, that I can restore to the 2 x 160GB disks (PATA) on the SIL card.  So far I am failing to do that.

    If I were to set up the PC is such a way as the SIL (PATA) RAID was running my OS, then I may have better luck in restoring to my ALi RAID drives.

    Rather than just do file copies and run FIXBOOT and FIXMBMR off a OS boor CD for the SIL RAID, I will use PartitionMagic off the floppies (DOS Boot disks) and copy the partitions manually from one array to the other.  PQMagic can set the primary drive as active and I should be abe to boot off the other RAID by changing the boot sequence in the BIOS.  If all is running well (I'll physicaly detach the the other RAID drive cables), I will attempt to restore off the backups to the "current" ALi RAID array configuration.

    This is not easy and not what I thought I woud need to do!

    EDIT:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/300a0976-589f-4fd7-9466-8e828f8a2d78

    I've updated that thread with my current progress and strategy to first of all get my Disk cloned to a new RAID, swap to the new array for live, comleteback up and then try to restore that backup to the old RAID arry (to be cleared out of the current partitions and made "clean").
    • Edited by Dr T Monday, November 17, 2008 1:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dr T Monday, November 17, 2008 11:50 AM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:06 PM
  • Success!

    I cloned the disks and got my system running off my 2nd RAID array.  Backed up.  Successfully restored to the other RAID array and booted off that fine.

    Looks to me as though the restore program had issues with the RAID driver it was installing to.  I am not bothered that I may have this problem again if my "C" drive failed as I could restore to the old RAID and then clone it back to the other.
    • Marked as answer by Dr T Monday, November 17, 2008 11:50 AM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 11:50 AM

All replies

  • Dr T said:

    Hi,

    I used the original MS Restore CD that came with the Server and Connector disks.  However, on using it to restore a back up to a completely clean disk partitioned with the same size partitions as the backup, and after successfully finding my RAID card drivers on a USB stick, proceeded to restore to the correct partitions.  However, after starting the restore I immediately got a message that "Unable to refresh Restore Wizard...............", so I just pressed OK and was re-prompted with selecting the partitions to restore to.  All well and good.  Until the screen went to the background image and then the PC spontaneously rebooted.

    So, I thought I'd recreate a new CD from the image file on the WHS Software directory for the Restore function.  There was no ISO but  TXT file with instructions to download the latest ISO off the MS website.  So I did this and reburned a new BOOT CD to restore from.

    I get the same message as before and the PC reboots as before.  I cannot restore my drives. This is very frustrating.

    As a heads up from a previous post, I had to partition the new disk booting off floppies with Partition Magic.  The new drive has a primary, extended and 4 logical partitions (all partitions unformatted and pristine.)

    Can anyone suggest a likely remedy for this problem?


    First, just to verify, did you download the new dual boot restore CD from here?  (It's not an iso, it's an msi file.  You need to run the msi to create the iso.)

    Second, did you try restoring just your OS partition from your backup?  If so, you might try re-partitioning your new drive again and make your OS partition a little bigger (just to see if that's what's causing your problem).
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:15 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

     

    Yes, I download the MSI which extracted an ISO to disk and then I burned it to CD.

    Yes, I have tried just restoring the OS partition on its own and I get the same resut.

    I'll try making the new partition a little bigger.  By how much would you suggest?  As my new drive is the same size as the old drive,I don't want to end up not being able to restore the final partition.  That said, the final partition is just data so I could just manually create a smaller partition than necessary and then copy over those files after the restore of the OS and other partitions (plenty of free space on the partition).

    As the Server is up to date with pathces, and I downloaded the latest MSI, why would I get the message in the first place?  Odd.

    Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Dr T said:

    Hi,

     

    Yes, I download the MSI which extracted an ISO to disk and then I burned it to CD.

    Yes, I have tried just restoring the OS partition on its own and I get the same resut.

    I'll try making the new partition a little bigger.  By how much would you suggest?  As my new drive is the same size as the old drive,I don't want to end up not being able to restore the final partition.  That said, the final partition is just data so I could just manually create a smaller partition than necessary and then copy over those files after the restore of the OS and other partitions (plenty of free space on the partition).

    As the Server is up to date with pathces, and I downloaded the latest MSI, why would I get the message in the first place?  Odd.



    My thinking was that your new partition may be only slightly smaller than your old one (perhaps even only 1 or 2 bytes smaller).  You could try making it much bigger, then attempt the restore of the first partition.  If it then works, you know what the problem is.  Then it's just a matter of figuring out how much to add to get it "over the hump" and running the restore again.

    The other option (if possible, which it may not be in your case) would be to remove your RAID card and hard drives, connect all of it to another PC, and run the restore wizard from that computer (C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe).  Just make sure you restore to the correct drives.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:47 PM
    Moderator
  • kariya21 said:

    My thinking was that your new partition may be only slightly smaller than your old one (perhaps even only 1 or 2 bytes smaller).  You could try making it much bigger, then attempt the restore of the first partition.  If it then works, you know what the problem is.  Then it's just a matter of figuring out how much to add to get it "over the hump" and running the restore again.

    The other option (if possible, which it may not be in your case) would be to remove your RAID card and hard drives, connect all of it to another PC, and run the restore wizard from that computer (C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe).  Just make sure you restore to the correct drives.



    Well, in the Restore Disk Management set up, I created a partition 1Gb larger than the backed up partition for each of the first three partitions, and made the last partition take up the remainder.  Partitions 3 and 4 are logical with the fist being primary and active.

    I tried to install just the OS to "C" and got the same exact probems as described.  It will not restore.
    The other is not an option I'm afraid.

    So at this time my confidence in using the WHS to restore my entire system is somewhat shaken; I am unable to get past this "Restore Wizard version" problem.  Why should it happen in the first place when I have everything up to date?
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:12 PM
  • FWIW, I am using a Silicon Image RAID card which loads the PnP680r.sys driver under windows.  I've checked and this is on my USB stick I use for the Restore to find additional storage drives.  (I just copied the entire directory of the OS drive which contained all the WHS restore drivers.)

    So, what next?

    So far I have been trying to prove that I can carry out a restore to a fresh pair of disks in RID 0 on a different controller to that which the current system is running on.  The current system has both types of Raid card installed, and the SIL Raid is seen fine by the OS, so I know both work.  My current OS is on a ALi raid card which uses an m5281.sys driver (also on the USB stick).

    My PC is up and running fine on the ALi card and I can create / delete partitions on the SIL card and write to it with no issues.  So XP is happy with the drivers.  It is the "ALi" partitions which are backed up on the server.  I want to prove that if the card and or 2 x 160Gb disks (SATA) go down on the ALi, that I can restore to the 2 x 160GB disks (PATA) on the SIL card.  So far I am failing to do that.

    If I were to set up the PC is such a way as the SIL (PATA) RAID was running my OS, then I may have better luck in restoring to my ALi RAID drives.

    Rather than just do file copies and run FIXBOOT and FIXMBMR off a OS boor CD for the SIL RAID, I will use PartitionMagic off the floppies (DOS Boot disks) and copy the partitions manually from one array to the other.  PQMagic can set the primary drive as active and I should be abe to boot off the other RAID by changing the boot sequence in the BIOS.  If all is running well (I'll physicaly detach the the other RAID drive cables), I will attempt to restore off the backups to the "current" ALi RAID array configuration.

    This is not easy and not what I thought I woud need to do!

    EDIT:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/300a0976-589f-4fd7-9466-8e828f8a2d78

    I've updated that thread with my current progress and strategy to first of all get my Disk cloned to a new RAID, swap to the new array for live, comleteback up and then try to restore that backup to the old RAID arry (to be cleared out of the current partitions and made "clean").
    • Edited by Dr T Monday, November 17, 2008 1:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dr T Monday, November 17, 2008 11:50 AM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:06 PM
  • Success!

    I cloned the disks and got my system running off my 2nd RAID array.  Backed up.  Successfully restored to the other RAID array and booted off that fine.

    Looks to me as though the restore program had issues with the RAID driver it was installing to.  I am not bothered that I may have this problem again if my "C" drive failed as I could restore to the old RAID and then clone it back to the other.
    • Marked as answer by Dr T Monday, November 17, 2008 11:50 AM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 11:50 AM