Server reinstall. Need to move hard drive to a diffrent ide first. Will this work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My problem
    I need to do a server reinstall.  I dont want to lose my current data
    My box has 2 ide ports but only 3 ide connectors.  I have 2 drives.  Both the drives are on the master of the ide connecters
    I cannot connect my cd rom to the slave of ide port to do the reinstall without a complete dismantle of my little box

What I would like to do is remove my second disk and connect it to the slave of the first disk.  Then connect the cd rom to the vacent master

Would this work or would the server not recognise that the data has moved to a diffrent ide connector

Thanks

Paul
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:23 PM

Answers

• coog said:

Hi

My problem
    My box has 2 ide ports but only 3 ide connectors.  I have 2 drives.  Both the drives are on the master of the ide connecters
    I cannot connect my cd rom to the slave of ide port to do the reinstall without a complete dismantle of my little box

What I would like to do is remove my second disk and connect it to the slave of the first disk.  Then connect the cd rom to the vacent master

Would this work or would the server not recognise that the data has moved to a diffrent ide connector

Thanks

Paul

Each drive is given a unique ID when added to the storage pool.  It should continue to function if you move the drives in that fashion.  My suggestion would be to shut down the server, move the drives around, then power up the server and make sure you can still access files, open the Console, etc.

However, when it comes time to do the Server Reinstallation, you need to make sure that your primary drive (the one with the OS) is plugged into the first port on your mobo (otherwise you probably won't get the Server Reinstallation option).
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Monday, February 23, 2009 12:03 AM more info
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by coog Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:38 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 12:03 AM
  • WHS does not care about the controller that is being used so you can move the drives around without too much worry. Just make sure you have the jumper set correctly to avoid any errors. Also, use the 80pin ribbon cables and not the old 40pin.
    PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:00 AM

All replies

• coog said:

Hi

My problem

Thanks

Paul

Each drive is given a unique ID when added to the storage pool.  It should continue to function if you move the drives in that fashion.  My suggestion would be to shut down the server, move the drives around, then power up the server and make sure you can still access files, open the Console, etc.

However, when it comes time to do the Server Reinstallation, you need to make sure that your primary drive (the one with the OS) is plugged into the first port on your mobo (otherwise you probably won't get the Server Reinstallation option).
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Monday, February 23, 2009 12:03 AM more info
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:14 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 12:03 AM
  • WHS does not care about the controller that is being used so you can move the drives around without too much worry. Just make sure you have the jumper set correctly to avoid any errors. Also, use the 80pin ribbon cables and not the old 40pin.
    PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Thank guys

Worked out OK.  Drives swopped around and data all visable.  I was able to do reinstall

Thanks for your guidence

Paul
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:38 AM