Backup Repaired, Backups not showing RRS feed

• Question

• One drive died. Backups need it to be repaired. Repaired backups. 7 good, 2 Dead. No problem I can live with that. Machines with repaired backups not showing at all on view backups. The wizard said it is repaired. Any clues. Server storage still show space used for PC Backups.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:33 PM

Answers

• They're already "gone for good". The cleanup wizard should return space that's no longer used to the storage pool, though.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:25 PM

All replies

• Three things you can try:

1. reboot your homeserver
    2. run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server or reinstall connector software from http://yourservername:55000
    3. configure backups from the WHS console for each of the clients (requires client to be connected)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Oh. My bad. repaired machines show, just when I double click on view backups. there is none, just empty.

Example ran repair.

Home. Good green check mark! Repaired.

Go to console to look for backups, "view backups" empty under home.

Same with the others.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:16 PM
  • There's no redundancy in the backup database, so if something corrupts data, any backup relying on that data is also corrupted. Repairing the database consists of finding those errors and dealing with them. Depending on what the original problem was, the backup database repair tool may need to delete some backups, or it may need to delete all backups.

In your case, you had a drive fail, and some components of the database were on that drive. It's not unusual to lose all backups in this scenario.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:26 PM
  • I lost some backups after running the repair. Well at least that's what the wizard said. The space still being used by backups. I know they are there or maybe it is really hopeless.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:30 PM
  • If you haven't run the backup cleanup wizard since the repair, the space is still in use, yes. Unfortunately, the data is not reachable; the backup database is in a proprietary format and Microsoft has not published anything about it. Your best bet will be to run the backup cleanup wizard, or wait until Sunday (by default it runs during the backup window on Sunday morning).
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:32 PM
  • What will happen if I run the cleanup wizard. There will be gone for good?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:08 PM
  • They're already "gone for good". The cleanup wizard should return space that's no longer used to the storage pool, though.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:25 PM