Print Spooler Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I'm experiencing a really strange problem. I have an HP LaserJet 2600n connected directly to one of the computers in my circle. I'm able to share with my other two computers with no problems. Now for the issue....

When I print from the computer that has the printer connected directly, there is no problem. When I attempt to print from either of my other two computers, which are wireless, it appears to print correctly. However, when I go to the client computer, the print jobs are sitting in the print queue. To get the jobs to print, I have to restart the Print Spooler Service, then I have to open the printer dialog box on the client computer, and as soon as I mouse over any of the printers, the jobs print....I know...really weird. I have uninstalled the printer, and reinstalled using the latest drivers for Vista. I also tried using a network connection rather than the USB connection and had exactly the same problem. What's really driving me nuts is I have another printer connected to the same computer that I share and can print from any of the computers without a problem.

I looked at the list of printers not supported by OneCare, and all is says is "Hewlett-Packard      Driver". It doesn't list any specific printer model, so I have no idea what it means. If anyone has any ideas for a solution, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Bill

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:44 PM

Answers

• Well, I really have no idea why, but after a total of about 10 hours of troubleshooting, installing drivers and uninstalling drivers, I finally got it to work the way it should. It appears that it has nothing directly to do with OneCare. I can't be certain, but I have reason to believe that the problem was caused by attempting to configure the printers while one of them was off. The computer couldn't communicate with the printer and apparently became really confused (not unlike me). Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that problem is solved at least for now. My caution would be that if you are configuring your printers, make sure the printers are on to avoid similar problems. A search of the Microsoft Knowledge Base has an article regarding this and there is a hot fix available...fortunately, I didn't have to use it.

Thanks,

Bill

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:30 AM

All replies

• Well, I really have no idea why, but after a total of about 10 hours of troubleshooting, installing drivers and uninstalling drivers, I finally got it to work the way it should. It appears that it has nothing directly to do with OneCare. I can't be certain, but I have reason to believe that the problem was caused by attempting to configure the printers while one of them was off. The computer couldn't communicate with the printer and apparently became really confused (not unlike me). Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that problem is solved at least for now. My caution would be that if you are configuring your printers, make sure the printers are on to avoid similar problems. A search of the Microsoft Knowledge Base has an article regarding this and there is a hot fix available...fortunately, I didn't have to use it.

Thanks,

Bill

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:30 AM
  • Thanks for sharing this, Bill, and for your persistence.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:18 PM