none
Wishlist: an Application from MS which can act as "TechNet Forum Answerer" RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

This is my first post in TechNet Website Feedback Forum. I couldn’t find a better place other than this forum to discuss this aspect. Please feel free to move this post if it doesn’t belong here.

Well, first of all Kudos to all TechNet Moderators, Admins and those who work behind the screens to keep up this fantastic Tech Resource every single day.

At times I have noticed that, after replying a thread/post, hyperlinks will won’t appear and hyperlinks will have only plain texts and the spacing between two sentences doesn’t appear and looks like a bunch of garbage sentences; no matter what web browser are you using.

All right, a thought came in my mind and I would like to discuss this here.

It would be really good, if we can have an Application from MS which can act as "TechNet Forum Answerer" something similar to Windows Live Writer. A tool which would facilitate answering forum threads without being logged on to TechNet forums via web browsers. Recently released  TechNet Forum Assistant widget is indeed a nice enhancement however,  that cannot be used to reply the threads.

If we could have an application entirely dedicated for replying posts, I assume that will kill all such issues and at least the contributors on this forum would definitely feel happy about it.

Here is my Wishlist/idea ! I am sure, there are people who might have similar thoughts as mine :-)

1.    A tool which can be installed on Windows OS and which would allow User’s to log on to the TechNet forums through their Live ID and password.

2.    A tool which would have similar functions, GUI as the current TechNet Website.

3.    A tool which would have a refresh button

4.    Etc…

Would this wishlist be considered?

~Santosh View Santosh  Bhandarkar's profile on LinkedIn

• Edited by Santosh Bhandarkar Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:25 PM typo
    • Moved by Mike Kinsman Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:25 PM Forums Suggestions (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    • Changed type Santosh Bhandarkar Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:50 PM Question
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:21 PM

Answers

• So the team decided not to implement into Live Writer because of the refresh issue (other people would supposedly be updating the article). So it's likely that this is a similar barrier for a dedicated app.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:25 PM

All replies

• Moving this to the Forums Feedback forum.

Thanks,
    Mike 

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Tweetdeck for the forums. Nice!

I often wonder why though. What's the advantage of having an offline tool that still requires online access to publish?

I never really used those download app versions of social sites. What's the advantage?

Anyway, I recommend adding this to the feature request list on TecheNet Wiki.

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, January 27, 2012 6:51 PM

I often wonder why though. What's the advantage of having an offline tool that still requires online access to publish?

I never really used those download app versions of social sites. What's the advantage?

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

The advantages, in my perception are:

Use  this app instead of web browsers and reduce formatting errors. Also, perhaps use cached contents for quick search etc...

Vote As Helpful, if you find my information useful ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:06 AM

Thanks!

The advantages, in my perception are:

Use a this app instead of web browsers and reduce formatting errors. Also, perhaps use cached contents for quick search etc...

Vote As Helpful, if you find my information useful ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Ah, yes. This was the very reason why they were adding Live Writer support for the Wiki. They believed it helps formatting (I think it's debatable whether or not a local app helps). I think a great way to strip formatting is to post in Notepad and then in the Wiki. But if you have a table or a ton of links then it's no good.
    Monday, January 30, 2012 10:29 PM
  • So the team decided not to implement into Live Writer because of the refresh issue (other people would supposedly be updating the article). So it's likely that this is a similar barrier for a dedicated app.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:25 PM

Thanks for the information Ed

Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:35 PM
  • The advantages, in my perception are:

Use  this app instead of web browsers and reduce formatting errors. Also, perhaps use cached contents for quick search etc...

In contrast and by comparison have you tried using (and posting with) an NNTP bridge to these forums?   It certainly satisfies an offline composition/deferred posting requirement and even enables searching, especially of your own posts, but concerning your "reduce formatting errors" objective?---By most users?  No.   Sad to say.

---

Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:55 AM
  •  I tried NNTP bridge with Windows Live Mail however, I couldn't get thread list view. Yes, as you rightly said NNTP is an alternative option in this regard.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:25 AM
  •  I tried NNTP bridge with Windows Live Mail however, I couldn't get thread list view.

Sort by date (conversations).  Conversations on.

---

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Thanks Robert

Worked !

-Santosh

"Robert Aldwinckle on forums" wrote in message news:0f3b726d-400c-42f4-8de0-f289c636b6aa...
    I tried NNTP bridge with Windows Live Mail however, I couldn't get thread list view.

Sort by date (conversations).  Conversations on.

---

Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:48 PM