Missing disk is detected as a "NEW" disk RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running WHS v2 "Vail" and I have a couple of disks attached to the Server Storage.
    Yesterday unfotunately one disk went missing by a still unknown reason, I rebootet the server and my system recognized the drive succesful.
    The problem is that Vail now sees this disk as a new drive and the "previous" drive is still marked "missing"...
    When I check in the Storage Manager I see the disk with the DISK DE partition on it just as before.
    Is there a way to tell Vail that the "newly" found disk is in fact the disk that went missingin the first place?

I hope there is, cause there is 1TB worth of data on it...

Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:25 PM

Answers

• John, have you submitted a bug on Connect?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 3:54 AM

All replies

• I am currently running WHS v2 "Vail" and I have a couple of disks attached to the Server Storage.
    Yesterday unfotunately one disk went missing by a still unknown reason, I rebootet the server and my system recognized the drive succesful.
    The problem is that Vail now sees this disk as a new drive and the "previous" drive is still marked "missing"...
    When I check in the Storage Manager I see the disk with the DISK DE partition on it just as before.
    Is there a way to tell Vail that the "newly" found disk is in fact the disk that went missingin the first place?

I hope there is, cause there is 1TB worth of data on it...

No (that's true for both v1 and Vail by the way).  First thing you should do is file a bug report on Connect.  Once you've done that, you'll probably have to remove the missing drive from the Dashboard (which should go through the rest of the storage pool and remove any other pieces of files that were stored on that drive), then add that drive back to the storage pool.

Normally, I would say you could try a Server Reinstallation, then import the "foreign storage pool".  Unfortunately, this beta build doesn't seem to have a fully functional way to do that.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:48 PM
  • OK, in other words the data on the disc will be lost.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:59 PM
  • OK, in other words the data on the disc will be lost.
    To the best of my knowledge, yes.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Hi. I had the exact same problem with a 1tb drive.

After i removed the 'missing' drive and then added it back to the storage pool my entire shared directory is now corrupted.

It still shows that there is data, space used, in the shared directories but when i go to access it it says that the directory is corrutped and unreadable.

So by removing the 'missing drive it corrupted over 10tb of data :-(

Saturday, September 4, 2010 3:43 AM
  • John, have you submitted a bug on Connect?
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 3:54 AM
  • Yeah i have lodged a but report already. There was already a but report for this issue so i just added mine to theirs.
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 6:14 AM
  • Yeah i have lodged a but report already. There was already a but report for this issue so i just added mine to theirs.
    It would be better if you filed your own bug report (and include your own log files).
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:03 PM
  • On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 16:03:30 +0000, kariya21 [MVP] wrote:

Yeah i have lodged a but report already. There was already a but report for this issue so i just added mine to theirs.

It would be better if you filed your own bug report (and include your own log files).

That's actually not the case as makes more work for the product team and
    one of the two bugs would wind up being closed as a duplicate. That's one
    of the main reasons that there's a search feature on Connect. John Doe 007
    has done things the correct way.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Saturday, September 4, 2010 7:17 PM
  • It depends on the bug, Paul. More bugs submitted = more logs submitted, which is often very useful. And different product teams have different approaches. The Windows Home Server team usually says "Submit a new bug and let us triage it."
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:28 PM