none
Forum System Idiocy

Question

• When will we get the forum we deserve? I - for one - pay rather a lot for my MSDN subscription and I expect this forum system to be a help not a hindrance.

If I check C# I can ask a question about C# - that's great, but if I check C++ I am compelled to select a "Forum Category" a stupid little drop down list that makes no sense, is ridiculously fiddly to scroll through using my Surface and frankly is just another hurdle.

All I want is to ask a basic question about C++ in Visual Studio 2010 but I can't because of all this other nonsense - is anybody with common sense actually out there ?

Cap'n

Friday, November 15, 2013 3:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• ... pay rather a lot for my MSDN subscription ...

Depending on what you paid, there is an official number of support tickets you can lodge directly to ms. The forum, is just a "public" service feature.

stackoverflow forum may yield better response/result than this. in fact, they also encourage you to use stackoverflow

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:58 AM
  • All I want is to ask a basic question about C++ in Visual Studio 2010 but I can't

Starting from where?  URL?  Also, do you have at least one forum from each category that you are interested in, in your My forums list?

FWIW I would agree that the "siloing" of MSDN categories is making it awkward to find forums in other categories but I don't think it is just the forum UI which is making that difficult.   For example, I have forums from TechNet, Microsoft and MSDN in my My Forums list and that makes it fairly easy to at least jump between forum "brands".  So that allowed me to get to an MSDN forum to try to see what procedure you would need to follow to get into your two categories (assuming you had neither in your My Forums list).  It turns out a key hidden feature of the forum UI needs to be known (or discovered) for such category jumps to occur:  expand the side bar so that the forums in the category that you are in are listed; then you will see at the top of that list "Forums [View all]".   From there it is fairly straightforward to find forums and categories matching your interest, e.g. using the Find tool, in your case just typing C and then either # or +.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, November 15, 2013 6:18 PM
  • Problem is fairly easily repeatable. I think the page is sort of out of sync as sometimes if you go to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?category=vslanguages&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc then deselect all and only check C++ and  Ask A Question it presents (still thinks All is checked)

where it should be presenting.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, November 15, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Work-around is to click the Visual C++ link from right-hand pane list view, then Ask A Question

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vcgeneral

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, November 15, 2013 7:02 PM
  • deselect all and only check C++ and  Ask A Question it presents (still thinks All is checked) where it should be presenting.

Instead of deselect all what I did was pick one.  That automatically deselected everything that was checked originally.  When I tried to see if having both checked at the same time would allow me to post to one or the other I saw the problem symptom.  Thanks for the link and explanation.  So, I suppose the requirement would be to minimize the amount of choice when more than one forum remains checked?   <eg>

Whoa.  It's even more screwed up than that!  My procedure was to pick Visual C++ under Visual Studio Languages.  That was one.  Then to try to add Visual C# under Visual Studio Languages I just used the side bar.  But then when I checked with Forums [view all] I found that supposedly I then had 4 forums checked?  WTH?  Turns out there is more than one forum called Visual C# so it looks like picking it in one category causes it to be picked in all?  Feature? Quirk?  Bug?  In fact, it is even quirkier than that.  There are two of each.  So picking one on the rail caused it and its duplicate to be checked but also caused the first one's duplicate to be checked.  So even if they did something about the requirement to minimize the amount of choice I suspect they would still be getting complaints about still having too much by showing all the ones which were checked.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, November 16, 2013 12:23 AM
  • Rob, every time I go there to investigate further I seem to get some different results. Good point on the View All. Sometimes it indicated 2 or more forums picked but wont tell us which ones.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, November 16, 2013 12:34 AM
  • Good point on the View All. Sometimes it indicated 2 or more forums picked but wont tell us which ones.

You can use View All with the same searches to find out which ones.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Point was that sometimes View All doesn't tell you anything.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:23 PM