Tags Suggestion Wordpress? RRS feed

• Question

• Tags Suggestion was supposed to be a new feature in Windows Live Writer Beta. But I am using Wordpress 2.7 and it does not seem to suggest any tags previously used on Wordpress blog. Is this feature implemented or is there a problem at my end? Pls explain about this feature with Wordpress.
    Navjot
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:55 AM

All replies

• It might be worth doing a blog refresh in Writer. Go to Tools > Accounts > select your blog > Edit > Update Account configuration.

Also, just to check, what version of Writer are you using? For this feature, you should be using 14.0.8050.1202.

SL - Windows Live Platform MVP
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:10 AM
  • I am using Wordpress 2.7 only and the same version of Live Writer as you mentioned. But surprisingly, it still does not suggest tags. According to me it should suggest with the tags that are in WP Database. And when I check blog capabilities list, it says Keyword Retrieval as set to No. Is that the reason for not suggesting?
    Navjot
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Have you done the Update Account Configuration?
    SL - Windows Live Platform MVP
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:23 AM
  • I have done that twice. Now my findings on Tag Suggestions and WLW. Correct me If I am wrong.

1. Tag Suggestions seems to be working only if tags were inserted using WLW into the Wordpress System. It does not cache the existing tags set before using WLW.
    2. Keyword Retrieval does not get enabled for a blog which was upgraded from 2.6.5 to 2.7 but worked for a blog which was installed as a fresh 2.7 copy
    3. Even if Keyword Retrieval is enabled, tags suggest work only when condition 1 is satisfied.
    Now, my suggestion for improving this:

1. Keyword retrieval should get enabled on all 2.7 blogs whether upgraded or fresh installs
    2. Tags Should be retreived from exisiting WP installs even if they were not inserted by WLW.

Navjot
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:44 AM
  • The tag feature caches tags you enter, starting with this release, as well as pulls all your old tags from your wordpress install.   You can force it to pull all your old tags but hitting the refresh button at anytime. The tag feature should be turned on when you upgrade, it does not require an install. 

If you already did a fresh install and it is working I don't know why it didnt work for you.  But if it still isnt working, check to make sure your wlwmanifest.xml file is up to date and make sure that you have a reference to the wlwmanifest file in your html.  For some reason, people when upgrading dont copy over the new one, or they often time remove the reference to it from their html because they think it make the html of their blog 'dirty'.
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:41 PM
  • One thing more..the blog on which it suggested tags, but when I created 2 tags from WP dashboard of that blog, WLW still did not came up with those suggestions.

Will test out other things you pointed though.

Navjot
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:26 PM
  • navjotjsignh, are you sure your blog is running 2.7 final? If so, please e-mail me your log file (Help | About | Show log file), my e-mail is joe.cheng *AT* microsoft.com. Thanks
    Friday, December 19, 2008 5:58 AM