What are the storage limits for Vail? RRS feed

• Question

• I know I'm late to the party here, but my HP WHS works just peachy for what I do and I have very little need for support.

What pisses me off is the Windows blog's response to the loss of DE to be, essentially, you really don't need all that data, we'll tell you how much data you need.

And I quote from that article, "If you absolutely *must* keep all that data, you should have a plan for it anyways."  Yes, I had a plan, it was called Drive Extender and after the bugs were resolved out it worked (and works) beautifully.  What a shame to have lost that capability.

No doubt that Vail has more multimedia and access capabilities than the original, and I will be the first to admit that RAID5 is a well-known and solid technology.  But DE was dead stupid simple to use and required virtually no configuration to deal with.

Now that my venting is over, on to my questions:

1. Is RAID6 available?
    2. From these threads I see that we can have an 8 TB array, assuming UEFI is available on the hardware.  Can you have more than one array?
    3. Can that array exceed 8 TB? 
    4. If you can have more than one array, how are the folders that are spread across the arrays "seen" by the end user?  Will I have to map drives?
    5. Is Vail compatible with Windows XP Pro?
    6. Can I upgrade my HP EX485 to Vail?  Sounds like based on this thread that it won't work.  I don't care so much about number crunching, just mass data storage.

Do I need more than 8 TB of data?  Yes, I do.  Pictures, movies (blu-ray, std def, etc.), home video, music, downloaded content, backups of computers, backups of game installations and save games, etc.  I want it all available to me.  :)

Thanks for the help/responses.

-Matt

Monday, May 2, 2011 8:54 PM

All replies

• I should be able to answer most of these...

1. Yes but it depends on your raid card, not OS

2. Yes, I am running two 2TB arrays, a raid 5 and a raid 1

3. Not sure about the 8TB part

4. Yes, originally it will create them on the drive you install your OS on but a different partition. You can then move them to where ever you want through the dashboard. No need to map drives as the Dashboard shares them with users.

5. The Launchpad software and backups will work on Windows XP machines. I assume you mean Windows XP is compatible as clients.

6. Only 64bit is supported and it looks like your EX485 does have a 64bit CPU, 2GB memory is needed and 160GB hard drive space.

You are going to need a hefty raid controller to handle 8TB of data. You would need six 2TB drives in a raid 6 configuration to reach 8TB. Which means you need a raid controller (or multiple if you are willing to have two smaller raids) that can both handle 6+ drives and Raid 6 (a pricey option). I am currently using a Intel SRCSASJV raid controller which is working well for me but they are pretty expensive for home use.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Answers to your questions:

Is RAID6 available

Answer:  I'm using an Adpatec 5405 and I'm currently running a 28TB Raid 6 Array.  However, 16TB is the largest partition I've been able to create.

From these threads I see that we can have an 8 TB array, assuming UEFI is available on the hardware. Can you have more than one array?

Answer:  I have set up 2 arrays before, a RAID 6 and a RAID 5, for a day or two with no issues.

If you can have more than one array, how are the folders that are spread across the arrays "seen" by the end user? Will I have to map drives?

Answer:  Not sure what you mean, but when you partition the array, it looks at it like a seperate drive.  I just created a shared folder and if I want, everyone can see it.

Thanks. Paul Carvajal
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:06 AM