none
It career RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to start a career as a network administrator, i have an mcp certificate- done in 1998, and have a couple of years on installation of physical networks, possibly my skills are now outdated, so would like to know the cheapest and best way to reenter the market and what the best way is to certification, ie does my nt mcp qualification have any relevance in terms the current certifications ? and if so , what is the best way to update my certification, i would appreciate any advice on this? Thanks
    robbie
    Friday, December 2, 2011 12:43 PM

Answers

• It is unlikely that your existing certification can be upgraded to a newer certification as many exams have been retired since you got your certification.  Without knowing which certification(s) you have, it's a little difficult providing advice on what you should do next.

Your best bet is to review the available certifications and upgrade paths at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx and then perhaps ask a few more questions for clarification  

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Proposed as answer by Dimitri C Monday, February 27, 2012 6:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. WhartyModerator Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:01 AM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Robbie, I guess the best approach would be to update the Certs- where possible anyway, though they are expensive if you do the courses or such like. I'm currently working in a Service Desk job whilst studying my MCSA/MCSE off my own back though it is hard work to be honest and all the time new certs are coming out. I'm sure others on here might be able to help better but give me a shout if I can help you further. Do you work in the industry at all chap? I guess first thing is updating the certs and knowledge has its a rapidly advancing industry and the certs don't seem to stay relevant for a very long time.

Craig

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:33 PM
  • It is unlikely that your existing certification can be upgraded to a newer certification as many exams have been retired since you got your certification.  Without knowing which certification(s) you have, it's a little difficult providing advice on what you should do next.

Your best bet is to review the available certifications and upgrade paths at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx and then perhaps ask a few more questions for clarification  

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Proposed as answer by Dimitri C Monday, February 27, 2012 6:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. WhartyModerator Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:01 AM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:13 PM