Working with files directly from D:\shares RRS feed

• Question

• I just setup my WHS last weekend. I initially setup 3 shares, each with file duplication ON. What I've discovered these last few days is that moving files between shares is just as slow as if they were being stored on different hard drives. I was expecting it to be virtually instantaneous. But then it occured to me that this is because I was moving the files from the client computer, and since  it doesn't realize that the shares reside on the same hard drives, it copies and deletes.

Since I had the same user access and file duplication settings for all 3 shares, I thought it made sense to combine them all into one share so that in the future I could move all the files around much quicker. To expedite this process, I created a 4th share, and then remoted into the server. I went to D:\shares, and moved each of the original 3 shares to its own folder on the newly created share.

Subsequently, I have read that what I did is NOT recommended and can cause file corruption; that you should never work with the files directly, but always through the network. I haven't noticed any negative effects, but what should I be looking for? I still have all the orginal data on their old hard drives (I copied to the server instead of moved). So if need be, I could delete the server shares, reformat the data drives by removing and then re-adding to the storage pool, and then start all over copying my data to the server (about 3 terabytes of data). Is this what I should do, or do you think things are OK the way they are?
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:45 PM

All replies

• I just setup my WHS last weekend. I initially setup 3 shares, each with file duplication ON. What I've discovered these last few days is that moving files between shares is just as slow as if they were being stored on different hard drives. I was expecting it to be virtually instantaneous. But then it occured to me that this is because I was moving the files from the client computer, and since  it doesn't realize that the shares reside on the same hard drives, it copies and deletes.

Since I had the same user access and file duplication settings for all 3 shares, I thought it made sense to combine them all into one share so that in the future I could move all the files around much quicker. To expedite this process, I created a 4th share, and then remoted into the server. I went to D:\shares, and moved each of the original 3 shares to its own folder on the newly created share.

Subsequently, I have read that what I did is NOT recommended and can cause file corruption; that you should never work with the files directly, but always through the network. I haven't noticed any negative effects, but what should I be looking for? I still have all the orginal data on their old hard drives (I copied to the server instead of moved). So if need be, I could delete the server shares, reformat the data drives by removing and then re-adding to the storage pool, and then start all over copying my data to the server (about 3 terabytes of data). Is this what I should do, or do you think things are OK the way they are?
    It's hard to say what you might see (if anything).  Some people have had all sorts of problems, some none.  If it was me, I would delete all of the data in the shares, then copy the data from the old drives to the shares the proper way (through the UNC path).  I wouldn't worry about formatting the drives though.  (Consider it a lesson learned in why you shouldn't ignore the warning when you logon to the server desktop.  :)  )
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 12:38 AM