Can backup internal hdd also be used for data storage? RRS feed

• Question

• When assigning a hard drive for server and client computer backups , can you also add data for storage to that specific drive?

What I mean is can you actually use the remaining free space to store data?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:09 PM

All replies

• You can't designate a drive for Server backups and Client Computer backups! Drives can be used for data storage and/or Client backups. Server backup can only be done to a drive dedicated to Server Backups.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Since backups will grow over time to fill a drive of up to 2 TB (and backup drives can't be formatted with GPT, therefore can't expose more than 2 TB to the OS) it wouldn't be wise even if it's possible.

But a better question is: Why would you? The whole idea behind backing your sever up is to protect your data, which a co-located or permanently installed drive won't let you do effectively (because anything that destroys the server as a whole will presumably destroy the drives in it as well), and disconnecting a backup drive that's also part of server storage (to store your backup off site) will make that content unavailable. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Ok. I see your point. It makes sense. Of course there is no point to keep all those backups after some time, because you only need the last one in case sth goes wrong.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:49 PM