Home Server Computer Backup Service Not Running RRS feed

Answers

• Danny W said:

I have run the connector tool kit and got the following errors:

Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site

Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page)

Cannot connect to the server internal Web site over IP address (ASPX page)

No DHCP server, or DHCP server is not reachable

Considering all of the problems you are having, I would recommend a Server Reinstallation.  It will format your OS partition, but leave your data in tact.  Once it's done, all you have to do is re-install any add-ins and re-create any users.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:39 PM

All replies

• ok further to the above when I go into any files via shared folders it says "the file cannot be accessed by the system".

How can I fix this without losing my files??
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:09 AM
  • Danny W said:

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me.....

I had Avast anti-virus deleted it, I restarted server and now I get the message that back up is not running and none of the connecter indicators are running.

P.S. I haven't really used WHS before and I have already followed the 10 steps thread :)

Thanks
    Danny

Hi,

Which version of Avast and how did you remove it from the server?

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:27 AM
  • Lara Jones said:

Danny W said:

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me.....

I had Avast anti-virus deleted it, I restarted server and now I get the message that back up is not running and none of the connecter indicators are running.

P.S. I haven't really used WHS before and I have already followed the 10 steps thread :)

Thanks
    Danny

Hi,

Which version of Avast and how did you remove it from the server?

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team

Hi,

I used this version

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-windows-home-server-edition.html

and installed it via the exe file then used Revo uninstaller to delete it like i do on my normal pc's
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:40 AM
  • ok so I have now just tried the settings again and they work however I can not repair the back up settings by pressing repair
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:59 AM
  • Danny W said:

Hi,

I used this version

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-windows-home-server-edition.html

and installed it via the exe file then used Revo uninstaller to delete it like i do on my normal pc's

I'm not sure why avast! made an exe version, but I would recommend you not use it any more.  Use the msi version (the one designed to work in the Console).  I use that one and it works fine.  Also, I would recommend you "forget" everything you've done on your client PCs as far as uninstalling apps goes (as WHS doesn't work like those).  When you need to uninstall any app (which is unsupported since it requires server desktop access), use the standard Add/Remove Programs.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Danny W said:

ok so I have now just tried the settings again and they work however I can not repair the back up settings by pressing repair

So you no longer have the Backup Service Not Running error?  If that's correct, the best thing to do now is delete all of your previous backups and start over from scratch.  If you have the old version of the toolkit installed, there is a button for it.  If not, you will need to open the Computers and Backups tab from a client and go through each backup and mark it as to be deleted, then run the Backup Cleanup routine to remove them from your server.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:06 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

ok so I have now just tried the settings again and they work however I can not repair the back up settings by pressing repair

So you no longer have the Backup Service Not Running error?  If that's correct, the best thing to do now is delete all of your previous backups and start over from scratch.  If you have the old version of the toolkit installed, there is a button for it.  If not, you will need to open the Computers and Backups tab from a client and go through each backup and mark it as to be deleted, then run the Backup Cleanup routine to remove them from your server.

No I still have this error, when i open the console I goto the settings but the backup repair fails.

When i look on D:\shares I can see all the files however is says "this file cannot be opened by the system" it is as if the DATA section has disappeared, how do I retain/access these?

I have deleted all the old back ups but still nothing.

• Edited by Danny W Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:29 PM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:23 PM
  • I have run the connector tool kit and got the following errors:

Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:27 PM
  • Danny W said:

Considering all of the problems you are having, I would recommend a Server Reinstallation.  It will format your OS partition, but leave your data in tact.  Once it's done, all you have to do is re-install any add-ins and re-create any users.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:39 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

I was going to do that but when I put the disc in it said it would format my disc and I would lose all my data hence I didn't

How do I do this without losing it as I have no backups of anything now :|

Also once done will I be able to get everything back again?
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Danny W said:

I was going to do that but when I put the disc in it said it would format my disc and I would lose all my data hence I didn't

You need to boot your server from the DVD.  You should be given 2 installation options:  New Installation and Server Reinstallation.  You want Server Reinstallation.  This option will wipe only your OS partition (it leaves everything else alone).  If you don't get that option in the drop-down menu, post back here so we can try to track down why it's not coming up.  Do not do a New Installation as that will format everything.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:50 AM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

You need to boot your server from the DVD.  You should be given 2 installation options:  New Installation and Server Reinstallation.  You want Server Reinstallation.  This option will wipe only your OS partition (it leaves everything else alone).  If you don't get that option in the drop-down menu, post back here so we can try to track down why it's not coming up.  Do not do a New Installation as that will format everything.

This is what happened and this is why I didn't do the reformat. When I did it I did actually think there would have been a reinstall option.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Danny W said:

This is what happened and this is why I didn't do the reformat. When I did it I did actually think there would have been a reinstall option.

Just to make sure, when you got to the installation options, all you got was New Installation, correct?  If so, when you first set up WHS, did you start out with a certain amount of drives, then add more internal drives to the storage pool at a later date?  Also, can you please give us a complete listing of the hard drives in your server (including the types of drives, sizes, and which one is the primary drive)?
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:18 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

Just to make sure, when you got to the installation options, all you got was New Installation, correct?  If so, when you first set up WHS, did you start out with a certain amount of drives, then add more internal drives to the storage pool at a later date?  Also, can you please give us a complete listing of the hard drives in your server (including the types of drives, sizes, and which one is the primary drive)?

Yes that was the only option.

I bought a new PC and had WHS loaded onto a new HD other then that that's all I know as I did not set it up.

The hard drive i have is 500GB Samsung HD502IJ and this is the only one I have

when I click onto my computer i have C:SYS and D:DATA

Sunday, November 30, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Danny W said:

I bought a new PC and had WHS loaded onto a new HD other then that that's all I know as I did not set it up.

In that case, you should contact whoever set it up for you.  They should know what they did the first time to get it installed.  And if they are able to help you, have them provide detailed instructions of what they did so if the need should ever arise again in the future, you'll be able to do it.

Danny W said:

Do you know what type of drive it is (SATA or PATA)?  If it's SATA, you might need to either A) install drivers for it manually and/or B) go into the BIOS and enable IDE-compatibility mode.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 8:11 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

In that case, you should contact whoever set it up for you.  They should know what they did the first time to get it installed.  And if they are able to help you, have them provide detailed instructions of what they did so if the need should ever arise again in the future, you'll be able to do it.

Danny W said:

Do you know what type of drive it is (SATA or PATA)?  If it's SATA, you might need to either A) install drivers for it manually and/or B) go into the BIOS and enable IDE-compatibility mode.

Ok I will ask him or show him this so he understands

I belive it is SATA, how can I find this out?

Sunday, November 30, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Danny W said:

Well, if you are familiar with computer hardware (specifically hard drives), you could open it up and look for yourself. :)  Check this link.  The first pic down shows you the 2 different data connection types:  PATA (aka IDE) is on the left and SATA is on the right.  The hard drive should have one of those 2 types of plugs on it.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 8:28 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

Well, if you are familiar with computer hardware (specifically hard drives), you could open it up and look for yourself. :)  Check this link.  The first pic down shows you the 2 different data connection types:  PATA (aka IDE) is on the left and SATA is on the right.  The hard drive should have one of those 2 types of plugs on it.

I looked and it is the smaller one so SATA
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Danny W said:

I looked and it is the smaller one so SATA

OK.

When you boot from the DVD, do you see your hard drive in the first selection screen (where it says Load Additional Storage Drivers)?  If so, can you please list everything it says on that screen?
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:19 PM
  • ok I restarted pressed esc to get to boot menu, I see

> Hard Disc
    - SATA1 M.    :     SAMSUNG HD502IJ
    - Bootable Add-in Cards

> CDROM
    - Ch0 M:   :   SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:45 PM
  • Danny W said:

ok I restarted pressed esc to get to boot menu, I see

> Hard Disc
    - Bootable Add-in Cards

> CDROM

No, I mean once you boot from the DVD (that looks like your BIOS, which is before it boots from the DVD).  When you boot from the DVD (before you get to the installation selection screen), you should have a screen that shows all of the hard drives attached to the server.  It's a Windows PE screen.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:51 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

ok I restarted pressed esc to get to boot menu, I see

> Hard Disc
    - Bootable Add-in Cards

> CDROM

No, I mean once you boot from the DVD (that looks like your BIOS, which is before it boots from the DVD).  When you boot from the DVD (before you get to the installation selection screen), you should have a screen that shows all of the hard drives attached to the server.  It's a Windows PE screen.

Sorry I am bit confused, How do I get to this bit?

I am at my Server now

When I put the disc in and select boot from DVD I found Last known good settings, when I did that it came up

Disc 0 465GB RAID
    Vol 1 20GB NTFS SYS
    Vol 2 445GB NTFS DATA

Clicked next and it gave me the new installation type withn noting else in the drop menu
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Ok so i was messing with something on the disc and it tried to finalise installation, i failed and i lost the D:\DATA!!!

Anyway I am worried I have lost it BUT on the other hand i have now found that I can reinstall the server via drop down, It now says formattng SYS Volume, I hope it is just that and not all my files going missing lol.

any idea if my stuff has gone?
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Danny W said:

Ok so i was messing with something on the disc and it tried to finalise installation, i failed and i lost the D:\DATA!!!

Anyway I am worried I have lost it BUT on the other hand i have now found that I can reinstall the server via drop down, It now says formattng SYS Volume, I hope it is just that and not all my files going missing lol.

I don't know.  That depends on exactly what you did.  First, you said before it said RAID (which is where your original problem most likely came from).  What exactly did you do to get the Server Reinstallation to come up?  Did you have it backed up somewhere else (just in case)?
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:39 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

Ok so i was messing with something on the disc and it tried to finalise installation, i failed and i lost the D:\DATA!!!

I don't know.  That depends on exactly what you did.  First, you said before it said RAID (which is where your original problem most likely came from).  What exactly did you do to get the Server Reinstallation to come up?

I had the disc in then went open the disc via explore then clicked on an exe file and it went to the finalisaton screen as if you have just done a new install (sorry forgot name & location). it tried to install updates and failed then it finished, I clicked on my comp and noticed D: had gone :@.

I put disc in and did boot from then it let me do it???
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Danny W said:

I had the disc in then went open the disc via explore then clicked on an exe file and it went to the finalisaton screen as if you have just done a new install (sorry forgot name & location). it tried to install updates and failed then it finished, I clicked on my comp and noticed D: had gone :@.

It sounds to me like you did not boot your server from the DVD.  You were putting the DVD in the drive and trying to install it again from within Windows (which is not the same).  To be honest, I don't know what will happen in your situation.  Did you have your data backed up anywhere?

Danny W said:

Just because it let you do it, doesn't mean it won't cause issues.  You simply did not perform the Reinstallation the correct way, so I don't know what results you will have.  TBH, even if it does appear to work, I still wouldn't trust this installation.  If it was me, the first thing I would do would be to backup your data (if it's still there), then start over from scratch with a New Installation.  (And, my additional suggestion would be to do it yourself so you have a better understand of how WHS works and if there are problems later on, you will have a starting point of what you did, not what someone else did for you.)
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:54 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

It sounds to me like you did not boot your server from the DVD.  You were putting the DVD in the drive and trying to install it again from within Windows (which is not the same).  To be honest, I don't know what will happen in your situation.  Did you have your data backed up anywhere?

Danny W said:

Just because it let you do it, doesn't mean it won't cause issues.  You simply did not perform the Reinstallation the correct way, so I don't know what results you will have.  TBH, even if it does appear to work, I still wouldn't trust this installation.  If it was me, the first thing I would do would be to backup your data (if it's still there), then start over from scratch with a New Installation.  (And, my additional suggestion would be to do it yourself so you have a better understand of how WHS works and if there are problems later on, you will have a starting point of what you did, not what someone else did for you.)

Well the disc is spinning at it is showing approx 20 mins left to go so i will let you know, I have some stuff baccked up but not all which is a pain in the ***.

Actually I have some old hard drives with the large connection, can I add these and use them to mirror my data?

I think I will do that after this has finished.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Danny W said:

Well the disc is spinning at it is showing approx 20 mins left to go so i will let you know, I have some stuff baccked up but not all which is a pain in the ***.

Actually I have some old hard drives with the large connection, can I add these and use them to mirror my data?

By large connection, I assume you mean PATA (aka IDE) drives?  If so, I would say it's fine to use them to backup your data temporarily.  However, if you are talking about adding them to the storage pool, at this point, I would advise against it.  I would still start over with a New Installation.  As a matter of fact, I would use one of your PATA drives as the primary hard drive in a New Installation (no need to search for drivers for those types of drives).
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:10 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

By large connection, I assume you mean PATA (aka IDE) drives?  If so, I would say it's fine to use them to backup your data temporarily.  However, if you are talking about adding them to the storage pool, at this point, I would advise against it.  I would still start over with a New Installation.  As a matter of fact, I would use one of your PATA drives as the primary hard drive in a New Installation (no need to search for drivers for those types of drives).

Yeah the first one in that link. I have a 30GB one is that ok?

The install has just finished but it said could not complete due to internal error but the files did come back just under I:\DATA but I am still unable to open anything.

I have just rebooted and selected from disc and it showed reinstallation again so have re done it to see what happens.

I don't understand why this is not working now it is supposedly reinstalled, it looks like it has as everything has changed. Oh I am also missing the console?
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:27 PM
  • Danny W said:

Oh, I thought you meant a high capacity hard drive.  You can't use that as your primary and, considering how tiny that is by today's standards, I wouldn't even waste my time using it as anything except maybe a door stop or a paper weight. ;)

Danny W said:

The install has just finished but it said could not complete due to internal error but the files did come back just under I:\DATA but I am still unable to open anything.

Probably because those are tombstones (not the real files).

Danny W said:

I have just rebooted and selected from disc and it showed reinstallation again so have re done it to see what happens.

Just to clarify: You booted your server from the DVD (meaning you did not run anything from the DVD inside Windows) and in the drop-down installation menu you had 2 options: New Installation and Server Reinstallation.  Out of those 2 choices, you picked Server Reinstallation.  Is that correct?

Danny W said:

I don't understand why this is not working now it is supposedly reinstalled, it looks like it has as everything has changed. Oh I am also missing the console?

Again, IMO, you should be planning on doing a New Installation.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:38 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

Oh, I thought you meant a high capacity hard drive.  You can't use that as your primary and, considering how tiny that is by today's standards, I wouldn't even waste my time using it as anything except maybe a door stop or a paper weight. ;)

Danny W said:

Probably because those are tombstones (not the real files).

Danny W said:

Just to clarify: You booted your server from the DVD (meaning you did not run anything from the DVD inside Windows) and in the drop-down installation menu you had 2 options: New Installation and Server Reinstallation.  Out of those 2 choices, you picked Server Reinstallation.  Is that correct?

Danny W said:

Again, IMO, you should be planning on doing a New Installation.

Correct I restarted PC, Seleceted boot from DVD then it came up with the option to reinstall server.

When you say tombstone I am guessing by that comment I have lost all my files, if not where would they be?

Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Danny W said:

Correct I restarted PC, Seleceted boot from DVD then it came up with the option to reinstall server.

Good, that's the best news I've heard all day. :)

Danny W said:

When you say tombstone I am guessing by that comment I have lost all my files, if not where would they be?

No.  Reparse points (aka "tombstones") are shortcuts to where the actual files are stored.  Think of them like a shortcut on your desktop.  My guess is the actual data is still there (but you won't know for sure until the Server Reinstallation process is complete considering everything you've done).  The best thing to do now is wait for the Reinstallation to finish.  (And if it looks like it's frozen at the end of the process, it's not.  It's just rebuilding the tombstones.  Don't touch anything until you have the Welcome screen on the monitor.)  Once you are at the Welcome screen, you will have to finish the setup process, then re-create your users.  If you still need help at that point, please post back. :)  The main thing is to not logon to the server desktop as A) it's unsupported and B) you may inadvertently mess up some function of WHS.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:48 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

Good, that's the best news I've heard all day. :)

Danny W said:

No.  Reparse points (aka "tombstones") are shortcuts to where the actual files are stored.  Think of them like a shortcut on your desktop.  My guess is the actual data is still there (but you won't know for sure until the Server Reinstallation process is complete considering everything you've done).  The best thing to do now is wait for the Reinstallation to finish.  (And if it looks like it's frozen at the end of the process, it's not.  It's just rebuilding the tombstones.  Don't touch anything until you have the Welcome screen on the monitor.)  Once you are at the Welcome screen, you will have to finish the setup process, then re-create your users.  If you still need help at that point, please post back. :)

GGGGGRRRRRRR|!!!!

I just went to look and it has stopped and says

"Restoring the archiver failed because of an external error"

I have clicked ok and it says failed and said show log yes or no.

clicked no and it went to desktop.

Also I have found all my files and can open them!!!!!

so now what?
    Monday, December 1, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Danny W said:

GGGGGRRRRRRR|!!!!

so now what?

First, I would backup all of your data to another drive.  Then I would start over from scratch with a New Installation (if it was me, I would use a PATA drive as the primary, but that's up to you).
    Monday, December 1, 2008 4:07 AM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

GGGGGRRRRRRR|!!!!

so now what?

First, I would backup all of your data to another drive.  Then I would start over from scratch with a New Installation (if it was me, I would use a PATA drive as the primary, but that's up to you).

I will do this after work and let you know.

I think i will buy anothger HD to mirror in case this happens again

I'll let you know how i got on tonight.

Monday, December 1, 2008 7:59 AM
  • Danny W said:

I will do this after work and let you know.

I think i will buy anothger HD to mirror in case this happens again

I'll let you know how i got on tonight.

FYI, RAID of any flavor (including RAID 1, mirroring) is unsupported on WHS.

Monday, December 1, 2008 3:00 PM
  • so only duplicate files is??

Just so you know i am now coping shares folder over to another PC's HD :)
    Monday, December 1, 2008 8:34 PM
  • Danny W said:

so only duplicate files is??

That's correct.  Besides, it's actually better than RAID 1 in terms of saving space (Folder Duplication is per share, RAID 1 is the entire drive).

Danny W said:

Good idea.  :)

Monday, December 1, 2008 8:51 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Danny W said:

so only duplicate files is??

That's correct.  Besides, it's actually better than RAID 1 in terms of saving space (Folder Duplication is per share, RAID 1 is the entire drive).

Danny W said:

Good idea.  :)

ok files are copied, drive is back in unit and new install is under way.

it is just formatting the system volume now.

Anything I should look out for or know/do during setup?
    Monday, December 1, 2008 9:50 PM
  • Danny W said:

ok files are copied, drive is back in unit and new install is under way.

it is just formatting the system volume now.

Anything I should look out for or know/do during setup?

Nope.  Just let it do it's thing.  Just make sure you leave the DVD in the drive the entire time until you see the Welcome screen.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 10:29 PM
  • All seems to be in order now.

Thanks for all your help Kariya
    Monday, December 1, 2008 10:53 PM