Upgrade to WHS 2011 from earlier versions of WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Will people with older versions of Windows Home Server be able to upgrade to the WHS 2011 without having to start from scratch?

Ken Cotton
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:57 PM

Answers

• No. WHS2011 is a 64-bit operating system and as such there is no upgrade path from the 32-bit WHS1.There are multiple ways of moving data from old to new - Ken has spelled out one below.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Will people with older versions of Windows Home Server be able to upgrade to the WHS 2011 without having to start from scratch?

In a word, no. There's no upgrade path (for any Microsoft OS) from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Your best bet is to run both servers in parallel, and move data from the old one to the new one. Second best is to install Windows Home Server 2011 on a new drive, then for each drive from the old server:

• Connect the drive to the server.
    • Copy all files from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. to the appropriate share.
    • Wipe the drive.
    • Move some shares to the new drive so you won't fill up the drive already in the server. (This functionality is available through the server dashboard).

Lather, rinse, repeat as eneded.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:05 PM

All replies

• No. WHS2011 is a 64-bit operating system and as such there is no upgrade path from the 32-bit WHS1.There are multiple ways of moving data from old to new - Ken has spelled out one below.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:01 PM

In a word, no. There's no upgrade path (for any Microsoft OS) from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Your best bet is to run both servers in parallel, and move data from the old one to the new one. Second best is to install Windows Home Server 2011 on a new drive, then for each drive from the old server:

• Connect the drive to the server.
    • Copy all files from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. to the appropriate share.
    • Wipe the drive.
    • Move some shares to the new drive so you won't fill up the drive already in the server. (This functionality is available through the server dashboard).

Lather, rinse, repeat as eneded.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:05 PM