Media Sharing - Windows Media Center + Xbox 360 & Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to set this up  so my Xbox 360 can run WMC and see the music folder on my homeserver.

I enabled the guest account but added a password and can't get the Xbox 360 running WMC (via green button) to see the folder on the server.

I know the tech brief says don't use a password on the guest account but I'm lothe to open up my server to a guest account in the first place so would rather keep some small level of security there.

My Vista Ultimate box that the Xbox 360 extender is connected to can see the home server folders. I did this by running Windows Media Player and pointing the 'monitor folders' to the server (I keyed in the password for guest account when prompted).

I was hoping the Xbox extender would pull the same config settings over from the pc - but so far no joy.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I'm really looking for a more secure way to use my Xbox 360 & WMC to view selected folders on my home server and everything I read about the open nature of the guest account with no password assigned makes me want to run a mile.

Does anyone have a workaround, could I perhaps set up / tweak folder permissions for the mxc1 account created when I run the extender configure wizard on my Vista PC?

Tech brief doc says "On your Windows Home Server, you must enable the Guest user account and give the Guest account Read rights to each shared folder that you would like Windows Media Center to view and play. Media Center Edition creates and uses a random user name, which requires the Guest account to be enabled. "

I wonder what would happen if I create a MXC1 account on Home Server?

Cheers, Paul.
    • Edited by Paul151 Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:55 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:50 AM

Answers

• Begging pardon, but, what's insecure about enabling the Guest account, not giving it a password, and then giving that account read-only access to the shares that you need?  It's not the security hole that the Guest account could be in XP....
    Read-only does mean just that.

Some things that won't work:
    - you won't be able to tweak the account privs when you run Extender setup - it just isn't in the UI, at least, not what you need to be there.
    - Creating an MCX1 account on the WHS also won't work, as you don't know (nor is there a way to find out) the account's password (it's a random character set that's generated when the account is created.)

What could work:
    create a net use batch file to map the network share as a local drive, and throw it into the Extender's startup folder (on the Media Center.) 
    -Chris
    • Marked as answer by Paul151 Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:50 AM

All replies

• Begging pardon, but, what's insecure about enabling the Guest account, not giving it a password, and then giving that account read-only access to the shares that you need?  It's not the security hole that the Guest account could be in XP....

Some things that won't work:
    - you won't be able to tweak the account privs when you run Extender setup - it just isn't in the UI, at least, not what you need to be there.
    - Creating an MCX1 account on the WHS also won't work, as you don't know (nor is there a way to find out) the account's password (it's a random character set that's generated when the account is created.)

What could work:
    create a net use batch file to map the network share as a local drive, and throw it into the Extender's startup folder (on the Media Center.) 
    -Chris
    • Marked as answer by Paul151 Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:50 AM
  • cuppie said:

Begging pardon, but, what's insecure about enabling the Guest account, not giving it a password, and then giving that account read-only access to the shares that you need?  It's not the security hole that the Guest account could be in XP....

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply I will try your suggestion but will still play around with the MCX1 account to see if I can achieve what I'm after.

As for the 'guest' account in my mind it's inherently far more insecure (read only enabled or not) than a standard account if you don't need a password or specific user login in order to be able to view the contents of a folder.

Cheers
    • Edited by Paul151 Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:22 AM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:21 AM