Can't acess my files over the network Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• My server box is running Windows Home Server Premium (Vial). It got infected with a virus and ever since the hacker has disabled services, and made them rogue. I seem to have fixed the important (or so I think) services.

So my issue is that I can't access my Home Server via the network. I can see the server (I wasn't able to before, I fixed that) but when I try to access the server the troubleshooter says:

"The remote device or resource won't accept the connection."
    "The device or resource (HOMESERVER) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"."

I have tried sfc /scannow and it comes back with no violations. My firewall is disabled. I really need access back to this server. Thank you for your help!
    Friday, January 18, 2013 1:47 PM

Answers

• If you've been doing regular backups of your server, then restore to a point before you were infected by the virus. If not, you should reinstall Windows Home Server 2011. If you have no backups of your server at all, I would recommend making a copy of everything except the system partition before the reinstallation.

One final piece of advice: in the future avoid using your server as a desktop PC, since it's unlikely your server was infected in any other way.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, January 21, 2013 9:50 AM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:04 AM