How to Manage Server Backups in WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS 2011 RTM installed. When you go to the manage backups screen and select a backup of a client computer you get the option to remove that backup during next cleanup. But when you open a server backup, you dont get any options. I have a number of failed server backups (due to a problematic enclosure) that I have fixed. Now I want to remove those failed backups, but there is no option for that.

Is there any way to clean up server backups too?

Thanks,

Anand

Regards, Anand Mukundan http://www.dotnetindia.com
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:08 PM

All replies

• Not really.  Server Backup is a whole different service.  What is supposed to happen is when the backup drive is full, the server backup service will trim old backups to make room for new ones.  I have yet to confirm this, and have heard it does and doesn't work.  It seems the whole server backup think wasn't thought through very well for this release.  It is more an enterprise solution where when a backup drive fills up, it is replaced with a new one. 
    D.W.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Not really.  Server Backup is a whole different service.  What is supposed to happen is when the backup drive is full, the server backup service will trim old backups to make room for new ones.  I have yet to confirm this, and have heard it does and doesn't work.  It seems the whole server backup think wasn't thought through very well for this release.  It is more an enterprise solution where when a backup drive fills up, it is replaced with a new one.

D.W., there's one thing I don't understand . . . when the drive gets full, and if it's "not" trimmed, and I have to add a new drive, why would I keep those old server backups? It seems to me that once a backup drive has been filled and replaced, WHS would/should just start over with a complete backup.

Yep, I've seen the same as you . . . some have luck with trimming and some don't. Like you, I don't think there was very much thought put into this one, so I don't even set up a server backup.

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:26 PM
  • At that point the drive could be formatted, and reused.  Which is what I will end up doing it the trimming doesn't work.  Server backup should be the same process as client backup just on a different disk.  If everyone else can think of it, not really sure why microsoft didn't.
    D.W.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Hi Nancy,

When replacing the backup disk,  backups on the "old" disk are still accessible. This is why you are still seing these old backups in the backup history.

When you don't replace the backup disk, older backups will be automatically deleted to make room for more recent backups. In my case this works fine (no errors) as long as I use a backup disk that is at least 1,5 x the volume of the shares I backup.

AFAIK, as long as you don't get errors on the backups you can only depend on the most recent backup beeing available. Older backups may or may not be deleted. The number of different file versions will depend on total size availbale on the backup disk as this determines when older backups will be deleted. You have no control on this.

By replacing the backup disks "round robin" on a regular basis older backups will still be available in case I need them.
    Example using 3 backup disks A,B and C
    Replace A by B after one month (A will contain my backups from Februari, B = current).
    Replace B by C after one month (B will contain my backups from March, C = current).
    Replace C by A after one month (C will contain my backups from April, A = current, replacing February backups with the May backups).
    Replace A by B after one month (A will contain my backups from May, B = ....).
    etc...

- Theo.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:28 PM