An unexpected error has occurred after I backup and restore Project Server 2010 farm to test enviroment using SharePoint 2010 Central Administration RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the scenario: We have a production Project Server 2010 farm enviroment and I would like to move it to a test environment.

I was able to backup the existing farm and restore it to a new farm using SharePoint 2010 Central Administration.  I’ve double checked that the PWA website has been properly provisioned.  However, when I try to open the site, I get the"An unexpected error has occurred" error.  Any ideas on what I need to do get the test environment up and running?

Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:50 AM

Answers

• Hello Shon_H, what is the answer for your problem that you had?  I'm having the same error when I perform a restore.

I found this answer and worked for me:

Currently the Farm has two service applications for Project services.

Make the newly created  service application as default, so that you will be able to resolve the "unexpected error".

Application management --> Configure service application associations --Click on the Default

Click on set as default  on the newly created service application.

Check the PWA status

Monday, January 3, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Additonal information about this error, here is what I see in the ULS log:

System.InvalidOperationException: Could not get the application proxy object    at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.RoutingContext.InternalGetProxy(Guid siteUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.RoutingContext.InternalGetRoutingContext(String address, String& endpointUri, Guid siteUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.RoutingContext.GetRoutingContext(String address, String& endpointUri, Guid siteUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.AuthenticationHelper.AuthenticateUserByName(String userName, Guid siteId)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.AuthenticateUserForPWA(Boolean needToValidateUser, String username, Guid siteId)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.AuthenticateUserForPWA(Boolean newCookie)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.GetContext(Boolean isWebServiceCall, Boolean newCookie, Guid siteId, Nullable`1 zone, Boolean useCache)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.GetContext(Boolean isWebServiceCall, Boolean newCookie, Guid siteId, Nullable`1 zone)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJBaseWebPartPage..ctor()     at ASP.DEFAULT_ASPX__1514027361..ctor() in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\9a5c9597\5af0e99d\App_Web_default.aspx_-1514027361.v54pe9jz.0.cs:line 0     at __ASP.FastObjectFactory_app_web_default_aspx__1514027361_v54pe9jz.Create_ASP_DEFAULT_ASPX__1514027361() in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\9a5c9597\5af0e99d\App_Web_default.aspx_-1514027361.v54pe9jz.1.cs:line 0     at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert)     at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()     at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:07 AM

All replies

• Additonal information about this error, here is what I see in the ULS log:

System.InvalidOperationException: Could not get the application proxy object    at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.RoutingContext.InternalGetProxy(Guid siteUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.RoutingContext.InternalGetRoutingContext(String address, String& endpointUri, Guid siteUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.RoutingContext.GetRoutingContext(String address, String& endpointUri, Guid siteUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.AuthenticationHelper.AuthenticateUserByName(String userName, Guid siteId)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.AuthenticateUserForPWA(Boolean needToValidateUser, String username, Guid siteId)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.AuthenticateUserForPWA(Boolean newCookie)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.GetContext(Boolean isWebServiceCall, Boolean newCookie, Guid siteId, Nullable`1 zone, Boolean useCache)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.GetContext(Boolean isWebServiceCall, Boolean newCookie, Guid siteId, Nullable`1 zone)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJBaseWebPartPage..ctor()     at ASP.DEFAULT_ASPX__1514027361..ctor() in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\9a5c9597\5af0e99d\App_Web_default.aspx_-1514027361.v54pe9jz.0.cs:line 0     at __ASP.FastObjectFactory_app_web_default_aspx__1514027361_v54pe9jz.Create_ASP_DEFAULT_ASPX__1514027361() in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\9a5c9597\5af0e99d\App_Web_default.aspx_-1514027361.v54pe9jz.1.cs:line 0     at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert)     at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()     at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Hello Shon_H, what is the answer for your problem that you had?  I'm having the same error when I perform a restore.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 1:05 PM

Make the newly created  service application as default, so that you will be able to resolve the "unexpected error".

Application management --> Configure service application associations --Click on the Default

Check the PWA status

Monday, January 3, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Hi

I had the same problem after restoring a full farm backup to a test farm.

In my case the application proxies (especially the project server one) were not associated correctly with the default proxy group. After fixing that associations I could logon to the restored pwa site successfully

Regards

Christoph

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:22 PM

Check the PWA status

Thanks dude...you save me :)

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:46 AM