Windows Home Server OEM License Transfer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just received my Windows Home Server OEM from UPS.

I planned to install it on a old Pentium 4 but I know I want to buy new parts to create a better storage server in the next 6 months.

I was wondering if I will be able to activate WHS on the new system if I change my server "Of course the old HDD would be wiped out.)

Thank you

Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:01 PM

Answers

• You can run the machine for 30 days without activating it. After those 30 days you can simply do a server reinstall to have another 30 days (you will not loose any data or backups, however you will need to redo a number of things such create users, connect clients, reinstall add-ins and so on). If you like can repeat this process forever.

Officially you can not transfer the license to other hardware. Actually it should be installed by a system builder (OEM) and not by an end-user. In practice I have never experienced any problems when I had to activate an OEM license a second time (using phone activation)

• Marked as answer by Alexandre- Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:53 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:26 PM

All replies

• You can run the machine for 30 days without activating it. After those 30 days you can simply do a server reinstall to have another 30 days (you will not loose any data or backups, however you will need to redo a number of things such create users, connect clients, reinstall add-ins and so on). If you like can repeat this process forever.

Officially you can not transfer the license to other hardware. Actually it should be installed by a system builder (OEM) and not by an end-user. In practice I have never experienced any problems when I had to activate an OEM license a second time (using phone activation)

• Marked as answer by Alexandre- Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:53 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Thank you
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:53 PM