Removal interfering programs RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question concerning this advisory after updating Windows LIve OneCare.  I have currently install Norton Ghost of which of course comes with the installation of Norton Live Update as well.  Just to make the story short, before the upgrade, I was able to use Windows Live OneCare for Everything w/ the exception for Backup which Norton Ghost does a fine job of that and both was coexisted long with each other with no problems.  After the update of Windows OneCare, everything  when hairwired.  Windows Live OneCare is asking me to Uninstall Norton Live Update which I need it for Symantec Norton Ghost v12 for Vista and I believe that not a good idea.  Is there a workaround? or do I have to uninstall the whole Norton Ghost client so that I may continue finishing the Windows Live OneCare update and then reinstall Norton Ghost again.

Any suggestion is deeply appreciated.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:31 PM

Answers

• I believe that the OneCare team is working to remove this warning, which as you would expect, is false. Apparently, the LiveUpdate files were targeted in looking for the security products which *do* conflict with OneCare. Some people have reported success with a different version of LiveUpdate, others have not. At this point, until it is resolved by a future update to either LiveUpdate or OneCare, you will have to put up with the warning or remove LiveUpdate. You can still update Ghost manually - note that it isn't a signature based program, so it doesn't get updated that often.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:42 PM

All replies

• FYI:

I just tried to uninstall the Live Update in order to get a "Green Approval" and successfully update Windows Live OneCare and then I have reinstalled the LiveUpdate v 3.2 from Symantec to get both pcAnywhere & Norton Ghost functioning once more, but still it reinverted back to the "at risk" alert on Winodws Live OneCare and again asking me to uninstall the LiveUpdate for Symantec v 3.2

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:12 AM
  • I believe that the OneCare team is working to remove this warning, which as you would expect, is false. Apparently, the LiveUpdate files were targeted in looking for the security products which *do* conflict with OneCare. Some people have reported success with a different version of LiveUpdate, others have not. At this point, until it is resolved by a future update to either LiveUpdate or OneCare, you will have to put up with the warning or remove LiveUpdate. You can still update Ghost manually - note that it isn't a signature based program, so it doesn't get updated that often.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:42 PM
  • It's been several weeks now, and despite a major update to OneCare (one that required a reboot), I'm still having the "interfering program" error.  Originally it was for LiveUpdate; now it's for Norton SystemWorks Premier. I can't understand why that would cause a conflict. (I don't have Norton AntiVirus or any security/firewall programs.) Any help?
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:25 AM
  • Steve, I just read your answer to subject above, with interest, as I am having the exact same problem, but in my case the program interferring is Mcafee Site Advisor.  Does your answer in my case carry the same weight?  Site Advisor seems to make some good recommendations as to "bad/good" sites to visit.  Does LOC throw these similar warnings at me as I surf the net?

Saturday, February 2, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Thanks for the info and hopefully Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare can resolved this issue, but in the meantime, I am still getting the Windows Live OneCare(Status at Risk) warning for now, even thought the Virus Definitions are running and are updated.  On the other hand, I really don't want to be forced to use my 2nd option as to use Norton 360.

Let's up pray "The Rock 3:16".

Saturday, February 2, 2008 11:50 PM
  •  Arizchap wrote:
    Steve, I just read your answer to subject above, with interest, as I am having the exact same problem, but in my case the program interferring is Mcafee Site Advisor.  Does your answer in my case carry the same weight?  Site Advisor seems to make some good recommendations as to "bad/good" sites to visit.  Does LOC throw these similar warnings at me as I surf the net?

I have the same problem on three of my computers. I love McAfee Site advisor and definitely don't want to uninstall it because it is such a great program. Perhaps, it is falsely detecting the interference or WLOC doesn't want us using their competitors . Either way, I know for a fact that site advisor is not interfereing with how WLOC runs. Until this problem is fixed, my WLOC is going to have to stay red because I'm keeping site advisor.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:44 PM
  • See this thread for the McAfee Site Advisor warning - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2779592&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:51 PM
  • I am having problem with Norton products and Onecare also. I uninstalled Norton Ghost/Live Update for several weeks thinking Onecare would have a fix by now. I reinstall Norton Ghost/Live Update and still have the "At Risk" RED warning from OC.

Steve: When is OC going to fix this. It is unnerving to see thatXXXX RED 1 in my Taskbar.

Thannks,

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:24 PM
  •  Ernie Lane wrote:

I am having problem with Norton products and Onecare also. I uninstalled Norton Ghost/Live Update for several weeks thinking Onecare would have a fix by now. I reinstall Norton Ghost/Live Update and still have the "At Risk" RED warning from OC.

Steve: When is OC going to fix this. It is unnerving to see thatXXXX RED 1 in my Taskbar.

Thannks,

Ernie, I wish I could provide an update to you. I expect that the warnings about conflicting software are not something that can be updated via signature and rules updates, but are provided with version changes. Since you are still getting this with .22, I can't say when it will (or if...) be changed.

-steve

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:53 AM