Submitted job stops responding to C# program in Validating state RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a C# program that submits and monitors jobs. It is having problems
    in a few of our user environments (we support all versions of Windows HPC Server).

It appears that the Cluster Manager is not responding to the program after a submitted
    job gets to the Validating state for some of our users.

In the program I use the ScheduleJob method job.FinishTask() in the TaskCallBack.

If I replace the job.FinishTask() method with the job.CancelTask() method I don't run
    into this problem.

Friday, September 14, 2018 12:42 PM

All replies

• Hi J,

Could you paste of code samples here so that we can take a check what might be the problem?

Qiufang Shi

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:15 AM
  • Hi Quifang,

Here's a snippit:

try
                                            {
                                                task1 = scheduler.OpenJob(args.JobId).OpenTask(wtask);
                                            }
                                            catch
                                            {
                                                WritetoLogFromProgram(String.Format("MARK @3713 RetryDelaySet == true - task =scheduler.OpenJob\n"));
                                                WriteTheLog();
                                            }

try
                                            {
                                                WritetoLogFromProgram("WAIT TASK FINISHED: Call 5");
                                                WriteTheLog();
                                                job.FinishTask(task1.TaskId, "Wait Task has ended");
                                                //job.CancelTask(task1.TaskId, "Wait Task has ended", true);
                                            }
                                            catch
                                            {
                                                WritetoLogFromProgram(String.Format("MARK @3725 RetryDelaySet == true - job.FinishTask\n"));
                                                WriteTheLog();
                                            }

When I substitute the commented line (job.CancelTask) with the line (job.FinishTask) the job runs fine, otherwise the job behaves as described in my initial question.

I'm compiling with .Net 4.5.2.

I did notice in the Microsoft HPC Documentation that the Method FinishTask is black and there is no link to it. I don't know what this means, programatically I can use it.

Here's a link to the Doc:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.hpc.scheduler.schedulerjob_methods(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 1:07 PM
  • Hi J,

Is the issue you encountered that the HPC Pack Cluster Manager(UI) would get stuck in "Not responding" state after the job turns into Validating state? 

Chenling

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:08 AM