Are others having problems with client sleep modes? RRS feed

• Question

• so i got my WHS running now...built a P4-based system with about 2TB of HDD space and using it for shared folders and to back up three houshold PCs:  (1) a P4 desktop running XP Pro;  (2) a P4 desktop running XP home.  and (3) an Atom-based netbook running XP (i forget which version) which i manually back up as needed given nothing really changes much on this client.

I have LIghts Out running on the server to wake it up from hibernation and put in back down again each day to provide a 4 hour window to do backups (i use mostly for back up versus shared folder access..and never for remote access).  The lights out add-in works great and the WHS wakes up and re-hibernates just fine. 

the problem is with the desktop clients.  I put them into standby mode when not actively being used.   Despite having the boxed checked on the system tray WHS icon menu to "wake up this PC" this hasn't happened reliably...sometimes it wakes up, backs up and goes back to standby.  sometimes they wake up and back up but don;t go back into standby...and about half the time they don't wake up at all.  I have finally given up on the client wake up/standy feature...i only set back up time for when i know clients are awake.  I am not using the Lights Out addin for the client....this is about just the WHS connector featrue to wake up client.

have others experienced this problem?  seems like a nice feature in WHS but is turning out to be completely non-functional for me across multiple clients.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:29 PM

All replies

• Short answer: yes, others experience this problem, and there is no easy answer. Unfortunately, there are a very large number of factors that may cause a PC to fail to wake, or to wake at an undesirable time, or to fail to go back into hibernation, etc. They may include hardware problems, BIOS issues, drivers, software a user may have installed on his PC, etc. None of these factors are within Microsoft's control, except the support that Windows itself has for this funcitonality. So unfortunately it's very difficult (really, impossible, in a practical sense) for Microsoft to fix the vast majority of these problems.

That said, you can always submit a bug report on Connect. You should include logs from the server and at least one client having the issue, collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:53 PM
  • tlh53 said:

so i got my WHS running now...built a P4-based system with about 2TB of HDD space and using it for shared folders and to back up three houshold PCs:  (1) a P4 desktop running XP Pro;  (2) a P4 desktop running XP home.  and (3) an Atom-based netbook running XP (i forget which version) which i manually back up as needed given nothing really changes much on this client.

I have LIghts Out running on the server to wake it up from hibernation and put in back down again each day to provide a 4 hour window to do backups (i use mostly for back up versus shared folder access..and never for remote access).  The lights out add-in works great and the WHS wakes up and re-hibernates just fine. 

the problem is with the desktop clients.  I put them into standby mode when not actively being used.   Despite having the boxed checked on the system tray WHS icon menu to "wake up this PC" this hasn't happened reliably...sometimes it wakes up, backs up and goes back to standby.  sometimes they wake up and back up but don;t go back into standby...and about half the time they don't wake up at all.  I have finally given up on the client wake up/standy feature...i only set back up time for when i know clients are awake.  I am not using the Lights Out addin for the client....this is about just the WHS connector featrue to wake up client.

have others experienced this problem?  seems like a nice feature in WHS but is turning out to be completely non-functional for me across multiple clients.

The clients wake themselves for backup using a timer. If you want to determine whether or not the Connector or another issue is causing the client to stay in standby and/or not return to sleep, you can schedule a task in the control panel to wake the client after uninstalling the connector. If the client still only periodically wakes and also fails to sleep, then the bug is in the OS/Drivers.

If you cannot repro this without the Connector, install it again, and if it repros, then submit a bug on Connect.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:11 PM