none
Is it worth it to get Microsoft certifications that are about to retire? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking to get my certifications for help desk IT and I saw that the MSCA Windows and an MSCE but it looks like Microsoft is about to retire them all some point this year.

Would it be worth it to try to get the certs before they're retired? Or would it just be worthless?

Sunday, April 7, 2019 8:50 AM

All replies

• Microsoft certifications don't expire. Even if they are retired you will keep them and they will show up in your certification transcript.

It really really depends on what certification (and what MCSE) you want to achieve. MSCAs and MSCEs are a combination of various single certifications which different lifetime and value.

If you do a Windows Server 2016 certification it will probably be relevant until Windows Server 2016 is EOL. If you do an Azure Certification well they change Azure every 5 days so the lifetime is obviously different.

Sunday, April 7, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Microsoft is replacing MCSA for Azure with Job Role-based certifications. For example, there is a new certification which is called "Azure Administrator Associate" which gets awarded if you achieve AZ-100 and AZ-101.

Here is an overview of the new roles you can get certified in https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/browse-new-certification.aspx

Monday, April 8, 2019 6:41 AM