none
Forum notifications

Question

• How do I get forum notifications to threads I created/posted to? I don't get any notification at all and that makes it hard to keep up with these forums. I see where I can edit my profile and add all kinds of demographic information about myself, but I don't see any place to change my email or to set preference for mail notification.

On specific threads there is an "Alert Me" link. But when I click that I get a screen that says: 

You cannot receive email alerts until you verify the confirmation email recently sent to 'email@domain.com'. (Resend) (Cancel)

I have clicked the "resend" about 50 times over the past week, but never received an email to confirm my address. It is possible that my company is filtering it out -- and I have no way of seeing what they are filtering. Can I change the email to something else to confirm my identity?

Monday, April 14, 2014 4:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• I found that if I "cancel" the notification I can put in a new email for a new notification. I put in my gmail account and that worked. But then I tried to "change" it back to my work email and it started again with a verification which never came through.

Monday, April 14, 2014 4:29 PM
  • How do I get forum notifications to threads I created/posted to? I don't get any notification at all and that makes it hard to keep up with these forums.

For me, rather than cluttering up my inbox, an easier way to keep track of my posts is My Threads or My Profile (Activity tab) on the Quick Access dropdown. I actually have browser shortcuts for these (and for forums that I visit).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:13 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer to get email notifications. Often I'm on several boards and sometimes it takes a day or two before there is a notification. I can't keep up with them all. I have mail rules sort them into appropriately themed folders in my mail app. It also helps when I need to go back a couple of months to find "What was that fix someone suggested...hmmmm."

So anybody else know how to get email notifications from this site?

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:37 PM
  • Sounds like you'll need to use a webmail provider or ask your company to allow the approval email through.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:40 PM
  • Thanks, bummer. I was hoping there was a way to get it through. So the verifications and notifications both come from the same address? Are the headers the same too?
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:53 PM
  • I'm not actually sure about that. I don't remember having to respond to a verification email when I configured my forum notification address. As for the notifications, they come from forumsup (at) microsoft [dot] com.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Okay, now I can't even see the alert window. If I click the Alert Me link it just switches to remove alert and doesn't even give me the opportunity to change the alert email.

Is there really a reason that this forum can't just have an email associated with my account?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:54 PM
  • Just to be clear, you've entered the address you want to receive these notifications in the 'Configure alerts' section of 'My settings', right?
    EDIT: If you're not sure what I mean by that, click the 'Quick Access' link in the upper left, under the 'Ask a question' button.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:59 PM
  • OMG! Who designed that? I figured I would click my name in the upper right and there would be a choice there. Something like the "edit my profile" which IS on that page, but doesn't contain that kind of information. Never in a million years would I think to look for my notification settings under "quick access."

Thank you for pointing that out. I never would have found that on my own.

In any event, the configure alerts window is what I used to get when I clicked the "alert me" link on a thread. But now I don't.

Evidently each email I put in there needs to be verified -- not user verification, but individual email verfication. I was hoping that once I was verified as a real human being that I could change the notification email and it would start working.

But it looks like the real problem is my work's IT department....

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:09 PM
  • Well my IT department looked into it and they say that there is a problem with the Forum's TLS encryption certificate. This is the log message he found in the log:

Apr 21 13:03:27 cnndcsmrp021 sendmail[10892]: s3LK3RGN010892: ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<forumsup@microsoft.com>, relay=delivery.smtp.microsoft.com [207.46.22.98], reject=503 5.7.0 encryption too weak 0 less than 128 
    Apr 21 13:03:27 cnndcsmrp021 sendmail[10892]: s3LK3RGN010892: from=<forumsup@microsoft.com>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=delivery.smtp.microsoft.com [207.46.22.98] 
    /var/log[cnndcsmrp021][/var/log] admin$ ping 207.46.22.98 
    PING 207.46.22.98 (207.46.22.98) 56(84) bytes of data.

Of cI'm guessing that there isn't any way to get this fixed is there?

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:53 PM