Windows Home Server Release/Update Timelines? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, does anyone know if Microsoft ever mentioned a timeline for the release of Windows Home Server?

I'm not looking for an exact date, but only if they mentioned 2007 or 2008?

Or if anyone has heard if there will be a Beta 3, or an RC1 anytime in the near future?  There seems to have been a lot of major bugs that Microsoft has fixed internally but not released to the public beta testers.

Thanks....

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:40 PM

Answers

• It's supposed to be released in 2007.

Look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Home_Server

It has a lot of information and links on this

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:03 PM
  • From  the press release (http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/jan07/01-08WindowsHomeServerPR.mspx)

LAS VEGAS — Jan. 8, 2007 — In his keynote address Sunday at the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates unveiled Microsoft Corp.’s plans for an innovative consumer software product available later this year: Windows® Home Server.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:05 PM
  • As others have said, WHS should be released later this year. No word on when. I would treat any date you may see from any source other than Microsoft or a known WHS vendor with extreme suspicion. HP is estimating release of the MediaSmart Server as Fall 2007.  See footnote 4 of this press release.

As for a new beta, it's possible that there will be an additional public beta release, but unlikely. None of the bugs found and marked as fixed so far are showstoppers for a significant percentage of beta testers, so while Microsoft may have another beta release, it will probably be limited to a select group of testers.

A date for RC1 has not been announced.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:12 PM

All replies

• I would expect to see it RTM before years end.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:00 PM
  • It's supposed to be released in 2007.

Look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Home_Server

It has a lot of information and links on this

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:03 PM
  • From  the press release (http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/jan07/01-08WindowsHomeServerPR.mspx)

LAS VEGAS — Jan. 8, 2007 — In his keynote address Sunday at the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates unveiled Microsoft Corp.’s plans for an innovative consumer software product available later this year: Windows® Home Server.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:05 PM
  • As others have said, WHS should be released later this year. No word on when. I would treat any date you may see from any source other than Microsoft or a known WHS vendor with extreme suspicion. HP is estimating release of the MediaSmart Server as Fall 2007.  See footnote 4 of this press release.

As for a new beta, it's possible that there will be an additional public beta release, but unlikely. None of the bugs found and marked as fixed so far are showstoppers for a significant percentage of beta testers, so while Microsoft may have another beta release, it will probably be limited to a select group of testers.

A date for RC1 has not been announced.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:12 PM
  • I have heard that Microsoft only plan on "Releasing this to Manufacturing" and not on general release. Does anyone know whether this is true?

If true I am changing software as I don't need a whole new server!

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 3:30 PM
  • There will be a system builders version available on sites such as Newegg, soon we hope as many are waiting. It is available now in some countrys other than the US.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 3:34 PM
  • "system builders version"

is this the same as OEM? Is it normally a volume licence or an individual one?

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 3:38 PM
  • The short answer is it is an OEM single license for anyone who builds a computer, with no phone support from Microsoft. There are some rather long threads on this forum, search for system builders/OEM in the forum. With the system builders license you can only install it on one machine, it can't be moved to another computer like a retail version, if you sell that computer, you have to provide support not Microsoft, and your only support option will be on this forum, which is not official support from Microsoft, just other users trying to help.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 3:47 PM
  • I was origionally given the date August 1, then September 1, and currently I'm being told September 17. It has been on the OEM product list since August.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Joe, the difference (that probably most directly impacts you) between "system builder" software and retail software is that Microsoft typically provides at least a short period of free support for their retail software. "System builder" (OEM) software is expected to be supported by the builder of the system (you, probably), and any direct support from Microsoft will involve a fee.

System builder software is an individual license.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 6:03 PM
  •  

Any new updates on a U.S. release date?
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:50 AM
  • I contacted Buy.com yesterday about my order and was told that they are "...still looking for a supplier".

Of course, the nice lady on the phone had no answers to any of my questions, so I left her alone.  But, it tells me that the date is still far enough away that nobody has a clue...or they aren't saying anything. Wink

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:56 PM
  • There is another post asking the same question - Todd from the WHS Product Team has made a few comments and its worth reading :-)

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2140841&SiteID=50

Andrew

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:41 PM
  • October 1st is the "launch of Windows Home Server", according to this Windows Partner Program Virtual Launch event page (I found this via the Windows Home Server User's Guide blog, which was mentioned in the We Got Served blog).

This might not quite be all that it seems, as it could just signify the launch to Windows Partners, and doesn't explicitly say anything about availability of WHS OEM software in retail, which is what we are all really waiting for!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:08 AM
  • Hopefully once the partners start getting it then it should appear quite quickly in the retail channels - or is that just wishful thinking :-)

Andrew

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:21 AM
  • NCIX.com claims to have the RTM in Stock

Your Order Detail
    Item Description
    In Stock
    Part # QTY
    Price
    Ext. Price
    Microsoft Windows Home Server OEM
    2-5 business days  26198 1 $176.32 $176.32
    Shipping and Handling $18.60
    SUBTOTAL: $194.93
    YOUR TOTAL:
    All quoted prices are in US DOLLARS
    $194.93

Friday, September 21, 2007 2:21 PM
  • I just did a "Check Stock" on NCIX.com, and there are are no WHS copies in stock, but it does say 5 are on order, expected in the Vancouver warehuse 10/4/07. Good for the Canucks!

This is also consistent with the 10/1/07 WHS launch date on the Microsoft Partner web site.

Friday, September 21, 2007 2:43 PM
  • hi guys Smile

french version of WHS is on stock ! found on iziprice.fr, and waiting for my mine Wink
    Friday, September 21, 2007 8:05 PM
  •  

I put in an order to NCIX on Sep 22, to be picked up at their store, a 5 minute walk from where I live. So I hope I get one of the 5.. Smile I also am only a 40 minute drive from their Vancouver store.

60384G 1PK OEM WIN HOME SERVER WIN32 1 $170.03 $170.03

SUBTOTAL: $170.03
      PST(7%): $11.90
      GST (6%): $10.20
      TOTAL:

$192.13

ALL PRICES IN CANADIAN DOLLARS 

Sunday, September 23, 2007 8:07 PM