VICTIM OF SOFTWARE COUNTERFEITING... RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Moderators,

Recently I've received this notification on my computer stating that the software I am using is not valid. I read in another topic what to do (istall and run the application, then copy the report in a new topic, so hence...). Here's the report:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23198
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {E8009E75-D105-4A51-AD3B-2142094B4ACC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{E8009E75-D105-4A51-AD3B-2142094B4ACC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23198</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1757981266-884357618-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS P5VD2-VM ACPI BIOS Revision 0602</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070117000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>262C3EAF01842E67</HWID><UserLCID>0413</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>W. Europe Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1D540:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|1D54B:ASUSTeK Computer Inc
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Can you please help me fix this? I mean, I bought the computer with the software installed, and I always received Microsoft updates and everything... I'm really at a loss here. Also, when I try to (re)purchase Windows XP again, I keep getting a webpage with an "Error"  message... Can you please help? Thanks.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hello celebration2009,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with a now geographically-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

A geographic block is done by Microsoft in cooperation with the original VL Keyholder to curb the unauthorized use of the VLK in areas and regions of the world where the original keyholder has no business presence.  The particular Product Key you are using, which ends in 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J, is widely leaked on the Internet (if you do a search for the key, you will see around 10+ pages of results), and it looks like it recently had a block put on it to try to curb its use, which probably explains why it was showing as Genuine up until recently.
      As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Additionally, VL editions are Upgrade licenses ONLY, and therfore cannot be used as the primary or base license for a computer (i.e. VLK keys do not come with a computer, pre-installed).

If you are a member of the Oginization that this VLK Key belongs to, please contact your Network Admin or IT Dept for assistance.

If you compare the product key listed in the Diagnostic Report (above) with the product key that came with the computer (found on the coa sticker on the side or bottom of your computer) and the keys do not match, please reinstall XP using the key found on the computer. often this situation is the result of untrained computer repair personnel at shops using downloaded copies of XP Pro to repair computers that never came with XP Pro.  If you have ever taken your computer to a repair shop, or if a well-meaning friend ever helped you fix the computer, then this is the likely source of the problem.

If you were sold software that came with this key or if you were sold a computer that included this key, please contact the person or company that sold you it and demand the Genuine Microsoft Software that you paided for. (or at the very least, a refund) I also encourage you to submit a Piracy Report at http://microsoft.com/piracy against the seller.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Friday, July 31, 2009 4:43 PM