Front End hardware load balancing subnets. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I was wanting to configure the OCS 2007 r2 front end server to be configured across 2 subnets. I have check the planning documentation and it does not mentioned that this is not supported. Has anyone configured the front ends in this way? and does it introduce any issues?
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:03 PM

Answers

• Do you mean that the Front-End (FE) severs will be in a different subnet than the Hardware Load Balancer (HLB) or that the FE nodes will themselves be in different subnets as well as the HLB?

As long as there is no NAT performed between the FEs and an Edge Server (if deployed) you should be fine.  The specific HLB used may have some requirements or limitations as to the subnet location of paired internal hosts.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Pseudonym81 Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:03 PM
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:40 PM

All replies

• Do you mean that the Front-End (FE) severs will be in a different subnet than the Hardware Load Balancer (HLB) or that the FE nodes will themselves be in different subnets as well as the HLB?

As long as there is no NAT performed between the FEs and an Edge Server (if deployed) you should be fine.  The specific HLB used may have some requirements or limitations as to the subnet location of paired internal hosts.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Pseudonym81 Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:03 PM
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Thanks,

The FE's will be in different subnets. So, VLAN 1 will contain the main IP of one front end server for POOL A, and VLAN 2 will contain the second FE for POOL A. The VIP for the front end pool would also be on a different subnet.

So it would kinda look like

POOLA - 10.0.1.2/24
                |                                                                      | 
    server a - 10.0.2.2/24                                     server b - 10.0.3.2/24

I think it should be ok, as long as there is no Natting and the fe IP addresses are routable.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:00 PM