Customising the CSV import to update different custom entities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have a requirement to allow the user with specific permission to import data from CSV file.

On import, system will check for contacts if they don't exist than create new one. Also update another custom entity for all the records in CSV.

Can anyone suggesting me the right approach to do this.

I am thinking of publishing a small web app which will perform all operations by making web service calls to CRM. A button will be displayed on ribbon for the user to access the web app and import their csv.

Thanks

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:48 PM

All replies

• Creating something custom would probably be the way to go as the OOB import process through the UI wouldn't be able to update records - only create new ones (assuming you aren't re-importing)

You can dig through this section of the SDK to help get started.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:28 PM
  • In security roles you will find two setting Import Date and Import source file. You can use this to give permission to the users.

If you enable duplication detection the duplicated record will not be imported.

When a contract is created using workflow you can check that the contact has been created as a result of import and you can create the custom record for each imported contact.  If there is a relationship with this custom entity than you need to populate this while making workflow.

Regards Faisal

Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:47 PM