how to inactivate a copy of XP, and reactivate later RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a copy of WinXP, and installed it on my laptop computer. Now I have sold the computer, for demonstration purposes I reinstalled the XP but did not validate it.

How can I make sure that it is not validated and used? I am awaiting my new computer, on which I plan to install my copy of XP. I want to ensure that I have use of my copy of XP.

What steps do I need to take?

Friday, March 23, 2007 3:02 AM

Answers

• Ninstints,

If the XP license you installed was a retail license purchased in a pretty retail box, you are within your usage rights to move that license from one computer to another.

If the XP license you installed was an OEM license, then the End User Licensing Agreement prohibits moving the license to any other computer.

From a more immediate perspective, even if you have a retail license, you made a big mistake if you did not format the disk after the buyer saw that the computer worked.  There would be nothing to keep the buyer from activating the computer once they got it home, and there are readily available utilities that they can use to retrieve the Product Key.  If the buyer activated, when it comes time for you to install and activate XP on your computer, your activation attempt will be rejected and you'll have to tap dance on a telephone activation.

Friday, March 23, 2007 4:50 AM

All replies

• If you sold a computer with Windows XP installed, that copy of Windows XP was sold with it and the license cannot be used again on a different computer.
    Friday, March 23, 2007 3:04 AM
  • Ninstints,

If the XP license you installed was a retail license purchased in a pretty retail box, you are within your usage rights to move that license from one computer to another.

If the XP license you installed was an OEM license, then the End User Licensing Agreement prohibits moving the license to any other computer.

From a more immediate perspective, even if you have a retail license, you made a big mistake if you did not format the disk after the buyer saw that the computer worked.  There would be nothing to keep the buyer from activating the computer once they got it home, and there are readily available utilities that they can use to retrieve the Product Key.  If the buyer activated, when it comes time for you to install and activate XP on your computer, your activation attempt will be rejected and you'll have to tap dance on a telephone activation.

Friday, March 23, 2007 4:50 AM