Windows Update Causes Invalidation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    Last week my computer did an automatic Windows Update and on Friday (Apr 17) Windows Genuine found that I had an invalid copy (despite the fact it is a valid copy). I performed a system restore and turned off automatic update and it is working now. I was wondering if it would be possible to figure out which update caused this problem. The following are the available updates and I'm assuming it must be one of them.
    Thanks for your help

Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB959997)
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB960003)
    Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.55.1987.0)
    Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [April 2009] (KB905866)
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2009 (KB890830)
    Security Update for Windows Vista (KB960803)
    Security Update for Windows Vista (KB959426)
    Security Update for Windows Vista (KB956572)
    Security Update for Windows Vista (KB952004)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista (KB963027)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB959995)

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hello deere5800,

Thank you for informing us of the issue. We will be looking into it. I encourage you to contact Microsoft Update support for assistance in getting those updates installed without error.  You can contact Microsoft Update support by going to http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab0 on the upper righthand side of that page is a link to free email based Microsoft Update support.

Lastly, since you know you can get back to a Genuine state (by using the System Restore) you may try installing each update, one by one (I suggest a reboot between each update). Users that had problems installing a group of updates, where able to install those updates (without issue) if they were install separately. 

If while installing the updates separately, your Vista does go non-genuine, you then know which Update is causing the problem. At that point, you can System Restore back to a Genuine state. Be sure to come back here and inform me and I will push to get the update fixed.  You can then go to Microsoft Update support for assistance in installing that update without error.

Thanks again deere5800,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by deere5800 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:08 AM