Recovering files from a Client Machine Backup... on a new WHS 2011 installation RRS feed

• Question

• WHS 2011 OS C drive and data D drive on HDD0.  Drive Bender spanned D drive to HDD1.  Every night I automatically backed up a Client Machine Laptop. The Laptop broke on the exact same day my WHS HDD0 catastropically failed.  I sent the HDD0 to a recovery service and they were able to recover 99.99% of the data.  They returned my data on a large USB flash drive. 

I have located a folder structure in the recovered set which is named with a GUID, then a sub folder named ServerFolders which contains the Client Computer Backups.  There are 124 .dat files along with a ConsistancyInfo.cc, configdat files, globalclusterlatest.4096 and control.4096.dat file. 

My question...  Can I reinstall WHS on a new drive, and then copy the Client Computer Backups into the new installation and recover some of the files from my Client Backups?  Is there anytihng else I need to do?

I read one forum topic that mentioned the importance of restarting WHS after copying the Client Backup files to allow WHS to index them.

Thanks to all in advance.

jim

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:51 AM