OneCare Defag RRS feed

• Question

• When my weekly tune up runs i have been getting the message

" C:\ Defagmentation partially completed* because of high levels defagmentation could not be completed and are marked for defagmentation in later tune ups "

So this week i defaged using vista's Disc Defragmenter just before tune was due to run guess what ... yes i still got the message ? anyone have an ideas one this

peter

Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:27 AM

Answers

•  peters4000 wrote:

When my weekly tune up runs i have been getting the message

" C:\ Defagmentation partially completed* because of high levels defagmentation could not be completed and are marked for defagmentation in later tune ups "

So this week i defaged using vista's Disc Defragmenter just before tune was due to run guess what ... yes i still got the message ? anyone have an ideas one this

peter

The only reason I can see is that the defrag started by OneCare hadn't completed after 15 minutes, which is how long OneCare allows defrag to run before continuing to the next step. OneCare can't 'see' the fact that a previous defragmentation has been run or that the disk doesn't need to be defragmented, so it simply starts to defragment and stops after an arbitrary 15 minutes to avoid taking hours to run.

I've mentioned in another thread here that this message is basically worthless and confusing and so should probably simply state "successful if there or no errors or better yet, nothing at all. Otherwise, it should at least state "in the time alloted" so it doesn't imply something that's not true.

OneCareBear

Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:52 PM

All replies

• Yes exactly the ssame for me. Only now I am also getting a message saying that I have not used tune up for 5 weeks!! I ran it two days ago but my report is still from October.  Any ideas?
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:20 AM
  •  peters4000 wrote:

When my weekly tune up runs i have been getting the message

peter

The only reason I can see is that the defrag started by OneCare hadn't completed after 15 minutes, which is how long OneCare allows defrag to run before continuing to the next step. OneCare can't 'see' the fact that a previous defragmentation has been run or that the disk doesn't need to be defragmented, so it simply starts to defragment and stops after an arbitrary 15 minutes to avoid taking hours to run.

I've mentioned in another thread here that this message is basically worthless and confusing and so should probably simply state "successful if there or no errors or better yet, nothing at all. Otherwise, it should at least state "in the time alloted" so it doesn't imply something that's not true.

OneCareBear

Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:52 PM
  •  Glenboy wrote:
    Yes exactly the ssame for me. Only now I am also getting a message saying that I have not used tune up for 5 weeks!! I ran it two days ago but my report is still from October.  Any ideas?

Hmm... I thought they'd fixed this, but maybe not. In any case, it appears to want to complete the 'Sheduled Tune-Up' rather than a manual one. So what I'd do is change the schedule to run now so it will clear the scheduled scan flag.

I'm thinking that maybe they only accept a scan run earlier on the same day scheduled, since otherwise how would they determine whether to run another scan or not? Everyone would have a different idea what's appropriate, so there's no real solution. So I understand why it would flag this in your case.

OneCareBear

Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:01 PM