Help! I need to enter my activation key to prove I have a genuine copy of Windows. RRS feed

• Question

• I bought an Asus laptop in December, which included a genuine vista downgrade-to-xp disc. Upon unsuccesfully trying to complete the downgrade, following the manufacturer's instructions, we discovered the disc was corrupt. I could not get a replacement disc, and so used a friend's copy of Windows to run my computer.
    As I had purchsed a legitimate copy of Windows, I simply assumed this was ok.
    Now I am hoping it is easy to enter the serial number of my copy, into the copy of windows which is running my computer. Can anyone help with how to do this, please, and will this cause any problems? I mean in a data loss or version capacty.
    Thanks
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:04 PM

Answers

• PeacheyKeen,

Why coudn't you get a replacement disc? Did you contact Asus Technical Support and explain that your original recovery media disc was corrupt and failed to work? If you didn't contact them I would recommend for you to contact Asus and explain the situation. There are various versions of Windows installation such as OEM-SLP, OEM System Builder, and Retail. Each version has their own product key for that particular version. So using a friends media and trying to use your product key isn't the right solution. 

Also you can 

contact the Microsoft Supplemental Team and ask how you may replace Microsoft Software.

See the following Knowledge Base (KB) article:

KB326246 - How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs and product upgrades, and replace product manuals

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326246

Take care

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:48 PM