Trouble uninstalling PP1 RC4 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the final release of PP1 and am having problems uninstalling what I'm fairly sure was the RC4 version.  There is no pre-release version in the add/remove programs and when I attempt to install the new PP1 final release, I get the message that it's already installed. 

For some background, in June I downloaded and installed what I think was RC4 but here are the confusing factors:

1.  There is no evidence of pre-release, RC or final version of PP1 in my add/remove programs on the server

2.  Computer properties on the server shows Windows Home Server  - Service Pack 2

3.  The June downloaded file (that I thought was RC4) has the same name as the current release (WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe)

4.  The home server console>settings>resources shows "Windows Home Server Power Pack I" (nothing about pre-release) and everything under the version information is version 6.0.1771.0.

This is a home built system that has run flawlessly from inception.  Any insight on what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:09 PM

Answers

•  binder1000 wrote:
    I'm trying to install the final release of PP1 and am having problems uninstalling what I'm fairly sure was the RC4 version.  There is no pre-release version in the add/remove programs and when I attempt to install the new PP1 final release, I get the message that it's already installed. 

For some background, in June I downloaded and installed what I think was RC4 but here are the confusing factors:

1.  There is no evidence of pre-release, RC or final version of PP1 in my add/remove programs on the server

2.  Computer properties on the server shows Windows Home Server  - Service Pack 2

3.  The June downloaded file (that I thought was RC4) has the same name as the current release (WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe)

4.  The home server console>settings>resources shows "Windows Home Server Power Pack I" (nothing about pre-release) and everything under the version information is version 6.0.1771.0.

This is a home built system that has run flawlessly from inception.  Any insight on what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

1771 is definitely beta.  Please make sure the Show updates box is checked under Add/Remove Programs.  You should see the pre-release file in the list at that point.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Service Pack 2, relates to the service pack number connected with Server 2003, the underlying operating system.

Colin

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:41 PM

All replies

•  binder1000 wrote:
    I'm trying to install the final release of PP1 and am having problems uninstalling what I'm fairly sure was the RC4 version.  There is no pre-release version in the add/remove programs and when I attempt to install the new PP1 final release, I get the message that it's already installed. 

1771 is definitely beta.  Please make sure the Show updates box is checked under Add/Remove Programs.  You should see the pre-release file in the list at that point.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  That was exactly the problem.  It is sort of curious though that the computer properties tab as well as the login screen when connecting via remote desktop continue to show Service Pack 2 even when the final version of PP1 has been installed.   

Monday, July 28, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Service Pack 2, relates to the service pack number connected with Server 2003, the underlying operating system.

Colin

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:41 PM