Please help: No idea why my site isn't being indexed! Any help appreciated :-) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I manage my sister's site, www.bellydancerssa.co.za (South African site), and just cannot seem to get it indexed on Live Search. I'm not using any "illegal" optimisation techniques, although I have a question re ALT tags: what constitutes "ALT tag stuffing"? I have included short descriptions of each image on the site for the visually impaired.

The site has backlinks from most of the top listings for related keywords (some only posted this week).

The site is listed on www.google.co.za.

This is my sister's sole source of income, so it's really important to me to make sure she gets listed. I'd be very grateful for any assistance anyone may be able to offer.

THANKS VERY MUCH!

Nathalie.

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

You aren't being penalized. How old is your site? I am showing you have 10 backlinks, all are from directories. I highly recommend not using to many directory sites as they have the potential of linking you into "bad neighborhoods" which will hurt your site trust and ultimately PageRank.

About keyword stuffing: If I were blind and surfed to your site, will I make any sense out of the descriptions that are read to me? 

on the pictures page, though not technically wrong, instead of, "find out more about ...", give a textual description of what the picture is such as: " Elektra in a red belly dancing outfit with castanets.." Or a cane or whatever else will help someone understand what is going on in the picture. Also, by describing things that are related to or used in belly dancing or the page's main theme, SEs will give some relevancy consideration to your alt tags. 

Keyword stuffing example:  "Belly dancing, Elektra in red belly dancing outfit with belly dancing castanets"

See how many times I used belly dancing? Most of that description is belly dancing repeated = BAD

Hope that helps.

Brett

Friday, June 27, 2008 6:47 PM

All replies

• Did you submit your website to Webmaster Center and verify it? Are the site has sitemap and robots.txt? I advice you read the guidelines and tips of the Webmasters Tools. It will take sometime, I actually have the same problem. My new personal blogsite: www.bleuken.com was crawled once about a several weeks ago and still it's not crawled again but I'm still hoping maybe sometime this week it might be crawled again. Especially I have done several changes on the structure of the website so I'm expecting a slowdown on crawling of MSN bots on my sites.

So just wait MSN Bot will surely crawl your sites very soon.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 4:25 PM
  •  

Hi,

You aren't being penalized. How old is your site? I am showing you have 10 backlinks, all are from directories. I highly recommend not using to many directory sites as they have the potential of linking you into "bad neighborhoods" which will hurt your site trust and ultimately PageRank.

About keyword stuffing: If I were blind and surfed to your site, will I make any sense out of the descriptions that are read to me? 

on the pictures page, though not technically wrong, instead of, "find out more about ...", give a textual description of what the picture is such as: " Elektra in a red belly dancing outfit with castanets.." Or a cane or whatever else will help someone understand what is going on in the picture. Also, by describing things that are related to or used in belly dancing or the page's main theme, SEs will give some relevancy consideration to your alt tags. 

Keyword stuffing example:  "Belly dancing, Elektra in red belly dancing outfit with belly dancing castanets"

See how many times I used belly dancing? Most of that description is belly dancing repeated = BAD

Hope that helps.

Brett

Friday, June 27, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Thanks so much for the prompt, very helpful reply!

The new backlinks (only added last week) are all on other belly dancing sites, not directories, so I'm hoping that will help.

Thanks for the tip on ALT tags - makes sense. I'll make some changes ASAP!

FYI, the site is only about 6 weeks old - could that be the reason it isn't indexed yet?

Thanks again for all your help!

Nathalie.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:08 PM
  • Hi bleuken,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did submit to WC and verify the site. I have got both an XML sitemap and a robots.txt file.

You're probably right - my sister's site is only 6 weeks old, so we maybe just need to be patient. I guess I assumed that because the site was indexed on Google, there must be a reason it wasn't being indexed on MSN. But, from Brett's reply, it seems that all is ok.

Good luck with your site - hope it gets crawled and indexed soon!

Nathalie.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:12 PM