Service Executable has encountered an error and needs to close RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

OK so first a little information...

I'm running Windows Live OneCare 2.5.2900.22 on three different systems...

The first system is Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition and OneCare works great. No issues at all.

The second system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition and OneCare works great. No issues here either.

The third system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition and OneCare simply does not behave at all. It installed fine right up to the end, when I got a "Service Executable" message complaining that MsMpEng.exe needed to close. The system rebooted fine, only for OneCare for the same message to appear as OneCare started to load. OneCare loads normally only to tell me that AntiSpyware and AntiVirus is turned off. So I click the button to turn it back on and everything is fine, until I get the Service Executable message again and AntiSpyware and AntiVirus turns itself off. This happens about 2 or 3 times, at which point the service simply fails to restart itself automatically and OneCare sits there, Firewall turned on, AntiSpyware and AntiVirus turned off.

A check in Services reveals that sure enough, OneCare AntiSpyware and AntiVirus service has stopped. Restarting it results in the above happening again.

I've removed and re-installed .NET Framework 2. I did try to install v3.5, but it failed at the end and so rolled everything back. I only seem able to run .NET Framework up to v2. OneCare has been removed and reinstalled several times, only to behave the same each time. And yes, I've tried using the OneCare repair tools (there appear to be several of them), all to no avail.

All three systems are not running any third-party software that could cause OneCare to behave like this.

Is there anything I can do to force OneCare to just damn well work?
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is a lengthy discussion of this issue and possible solutions including contacting support in this thread - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareanti-virus/thread/890f1127-da45-4f01-b664-614a4f796857
    Jim
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Sadly this forum lacks a fair bit. This does not supply the answer to my problem, and I've since abandoned running OneCare on all my systems, which is a shame, since I'm sure Microsoft want their product on as many systems as possible. Also, the thread that was marked as the "answer", does not provide any answers for any of the users suffering from the same or similar problems.

In short, the correct answer here is that OneCare is a shoddy product that should not be available, and certainly not for end users to pay for.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Actually the answer has been provided. The answer is to contact support. The issue you are having is not one that has a universal fix. The cause of the issue is related to your hardware configuration, software configuration, or a missing or damaged system file and One Care's interaction with it. This is not the type of issue you can troubleshoot easily in a peer to peer support forum. One Care technical support has the tools and the training to resolve this issue. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Monday, March 23, 2009 9:28 PM