How do I get OneCare to eliminate this virus? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed OneCare largely to handle an existing virus issue. Things are better now but far from good. Unfortunately OneCare reports status as "Good".

Here is some information:

1) The problem is with a virus which calls itself "Windows Security Center" which repeatedly reports virus activity from a pop-up from the tray. It also spawns a window from time to time (perhaps an IE session) with some dire warning. It also replaces my wallpaper with its own -- it says: "Warning! Spyware threat has been detected on your PC". Sound familiar?

2) I suspect it also disabled my access to the task manager -- "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator". I am the admistrator.

3) There are a bunch of spies/viruses embedded in IE. I disabled the BHOs for these but I am not confident they will not return (given there is still virus activity). I have the latest everything for IE.

4) I've got OneCare doing a full scan (although it did not recommend this). I get no feedback on this, other than the main console reporting "Virus and spyware scan in progress". Is this normal?
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• A little more information...

1) The virus I describe in (1) looks like 'smitfraud-c'. Does OneCare handle that? If so, how? And why did it not recognize it?

2) I was not able to enable the task manager with a suggested REG command.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:58 PM
  • I can't tell you if OneCare can deal with Smitfraud, though I would hope that it can. It may be a variant that it cannot remove, however. If you need help cleaning this from your PC, please contact OneCare support.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details.

For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:55 AM
  • I failed to answer number 4 earlier - yes, OneCare will simply tell you that a scan is in progress as it scans.

-steve

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:57 AM