Drives and physical location. RRS feed

• Question

• I found some old threads on this issue under WHS, are we any better off with WHS2011, I tried to keep track of SATA port, drive number and drive letter as I added drives, but it didn't really work since I have 7 drives (so far) and only 2 types / sizes!

WHS2011 assigned drive numbers as it wished. I know I can change drive letters but that doesn't help to identify which HD is which number if I add another.

Also, where does WHS2011 save the backups? As currently installed I have the normal C: drives and a large D drive. If I leave the OS do its preference (unlikely) where will the backups go?

I know I can control the location of other folders (I'm using DrivePool), but it seems I made a mistake on installing the OS on a 2TB HD. Price-wise it didn't make sense to buy a new small drive and ultimately my optimum number of drives is 7 + an external ESATA. 

Britgeezer
    Friday, August 5, 2011 11:46 PM

All replies

• Also, where does WHS2011 save the backups? As currently installed I have the normal C: drives and a large D drive. If I leave the OS do its preference (unlikely) where will the backups go?

I know I can control the location of other folders (I'm using DrivePool), but it seems I made a mistake on installing the OS on a 2TB HD. Price-wise it didn't make sense to buy a new small drive and ultimately my optimum number of drives is 7 + an external ESATA.  

Britgeezer

If you are talking about client backups, look in the Dashboard where all the other shared file locations are listed - Client backup location is shown (and can be changed) in the same location. No problem installing the OS on a large drive - all I can think of is that data on it would have to be reinstalled from a server backup should the drive fail, compared to not having to do so if a smaller OS drive were to fail instead. The latter is inherently more unreliable as you are using 2 disks instead of one.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 1:33 AM